ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#131744 03/12/04 07:09 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Guy's,
I have noticed a really annoying trend with my Computer in the last few weeks.
I log onto the Net and then have a look at my emails via Hotmail.
The problem arises when I open MS Outlook Express, as soon as I open this, my Internet Connection is lost!.
Another problem that I have found that may be associated with this, is when I log on to Internet Explorer, I am told that I am "Working Off-Line", and I cannot access the Internet unless I open the "File" drop-down and "turn-off" that setting.
Is there a way that I can set IE to never Work-Off-Line?.
As a rule, I never work offline, I am either On line or I am not on the Computer.
Could someone please help?. [Linked Image]

#131745 03/16/04 05:06 AM
P
Two things to check:

1. In Internet Explorer, go to Tools -> Internet options -> Connections, and check that you don't have "Never dial a connection" selected.

2. In Outlook Express, go to Tools -> Options -> Connection and make sure that the "Hang up after sending & receiving" option is not turned on.

#131746 03/18/04 02:59 AM
Broom Pusher and
I agree with Paul.

Make a full pot of coffee, get some scratch paper, sharpen about 10 pencils, get out all your reference books for IE and Outlook, sit back and poke through the preferences / settings for a couple hours / days / weeks
[Linked Image]
until you stumble acros the right tweek to disable all the off-line features you wish, plus the "Turn Off Modem If Idle For More Than XXX Minutes" settings (typically found within the Modem's Properties).

Not being a heavy IE user, I cannot suggest any more than the above - or at least hunting around the "Internet Settings" found in the Windows Control Panel.

Used Outlook at work, and it was a major quest trying to locate where to apply each tweek. Hunt around the File Menus (top File menu bar) for awhile until you locate what's needed.
If you are unable to fix anything via this "Find It By Hunting" technique, I can dust off some books and see whaddaheck to do.

Let us know.

Scott35

P.S. Any hard-core IE / Outlook users out there? [Linked Image]
Toss in some helpful hints!

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#131747 04/16/04 12:45 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Thanks for your help, guys.
Going to have a sit-down and try and "nut" this one out myself today. [Linked Image]
The only thing that I find frustrating is the Dial-up being dropped off all the time.
But, I'll work it out, believe me, if it's the last thing I ever do!.

#131748 04/16/04 06:50 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Got it!. [Linked Image]
I had a really good look around in my Modem settings and the settings of IE and tinkered with a few things.
Then the penny dropped, I downloaded a new Service Pack (SP1) update a few months ago for IE6, so I deleted it and logged back onto the Internet, BANG, problem gone!.
Computer works just as well without it too,
Makes you wonder at times just how dodgy this MS stuff is!. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

#131749 04/18/04 07:38 PM
Broom Pusher and
Great news, Trumpy! I knew you would be able to do it!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#131750 05/01/04 06:54 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Thanks for the reply Scott,
I never had a doubt that I could find out what was going on.
But Windows XP Pro is a dog of a thing to use and also to navigate through.
Why do things have to be so difficult these days, what ever happened to Simplicity?
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard