ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 420 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
One situation with wanting “more horsepower” and “need for speed” is having different systems at home and at work. [It’s a serendipitous default that PC and software producers benefit through the normal development process.] It can work both ways—a more powerful system at home or at work will breed contempt for the less-powerful system.

It overlaps into another aspect—volunteer work. The otherwise kindhearted ‘ready and willing’ help often doesn’t want to mess with older “donated” systems and software—especially when they aren’t getting paid to do so.

P
I agree with 'don't upgrade unless needed'.
I went from win3.x to 95 because the internet wouldn't work.
I went from 486 to P233 because MP3s and my burner wouldn't work.
I went from 95 to 98SE because USB wouldn't work.
I went to P1.3Ghz, 768MB RAM, 64MB video, etc, because Warcraft III wouldn't work. Oink!

Our desktop at work is 95, and can't read CDs of schematics I burn at home.
Our 'new' laptop at work for PLC onlines is a hand-me-down from corporate.
A P150!
It showed up as a $1000CDN asset transfer! Our Allen Bradley PLC reps said it was common for companies to buy used laptops for $50 to uplink to numerous $2000 PLCs and load them with $5000 worth of PLC software. They keep their software 'backward-compatible' for that reason.

[This message has been edited by Pinemarten (edited 09-30-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Pinemarten (edited 09-30-2003).]

Pinemarten,
I've had Win XP for about a year now and although it does have it's downfalls, I'm pretty much happy with it.
I wouldn't upgrade my computer just for the hell of it.
BTW, is there a later version of windows than XP?, just wondering.
Unless something happens that rules out my use of XP, I don't think that I will be changing computers in the next few years, I don't need the best and fastest graphics and sound attributes.
As long as I can still access the Internet, I'll be more than happy!. [Linked Image]

P
Did you upgrade to XP, or did it come with your sys?
When I buy a new sys, I specify that I don't want an os, or add-on software. I just want an EMPTY hard drive.
I will load my own stuff on, and usually they take $100-$200 off the price.

D
So many Microsoft OS's. There are alternatives but it depends upon your inclination to learn and tinker. I run a Linux OS in addition to Windows XP Home. The OS's are on separate HD's and the box dual boots, giving me a choice at start-up. I have nothing against Microsoft or Bill Gates. I do like to putz around on the computer and enjoy running Linux for a variety of reasons.
There are lots of applications for Linux. I find that I prefer Linux to Windows and spend probably 90% of my time running Linux apps. Check out openoffice.org for office applications that will run under Linux or Windows.
The Linux story is much larger and more important than I can describe here but if you are into pc's and have an open mind check it out.
Don

P
Don,
I've always maintained that Unix is an excellent operating system. It might look very daunting for a computer novice to learn, but the sheer versatility of Unix/Linux it what makes it such an excellent OS for programming and technical work.

I suppose being an ex-telephone engineer might make me just a little biased, of course! [Linked Image]

Some links for anyone wanting to learn more

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 10-09-2003).]

M
I agree with Paul. If you can deal with the limited number of applications that are available for it, Linux is bullet-proof!

:
i'm using windows xp professional.

before used OS'
Windows 3.1
Windows 3.11
Windows 95
Windows 98&SE
XP home
SuSE Linux

My XP is running fine and i will keép using it. you have to do some security updates, what the hell. linux isnt that SUPER SUPERsafe it's said....

Pinemarten,
Yeah WinXP came with this system.
I had a system with WinME and had no end of problems, it used to crash quite frequently.
Anyone else ever had problems with this version of Windows?.
Oddly enough, I don't think it sold too well either, I might have been the only one that bought it!.

D
DGT Offline
I think the future for desktop computing will get better now that NOVELL, IBM and a number of other software consortiums are LINUX oiented.
http://www.itworld.ca/V.aspx?i=26aa478ca9a846fdbe8a248b98726138&s=44633

NOVELL has acquired a company that is has an extensive presence in Europe (??). IBM and pothers are funding legal defence for the upcoming copywrite court battle re:LINUX

Any how, Microsoft has announced they are going to support WIN98 and WIN98SE for another 2 or more years. This in thanks to the user community that went orbital when Redmont said "....thats it for WIN 95/98/SE support as of early 2004." (Power to the people, eh Billy?)

My take is that the best OS/GUI is one that doesn't have to be tweeked all the time and
the catastorhic failure rate is zero.

A user of a desktop should be able to concentrate on the project at hand. The OS should be "invisible". If I am running LOTUS or ACAD or WORD I am most productive at the end-user position. Too much emphases is placed on WINDOWS and not enough on the reason one buys a computer. To COMPUTE. Not play with the GUI. That's why large organisations provide IT staff to look after the computer software/applications so staff can do what they have been hired to do....provide results and output.

Holey Cow did I say that????

Doug....et al

[This message has been edited by DGT (edited 01-15-2004).]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard