ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#131546 09/25/03 01:16 AM
Sounds harsh, doesn't it?
What do you think?

>> Are You Too Stupid to Surf?

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
#131547 09/25/03 03:25 AM
B
That link gave me a full screen pop-up ad for Verizon when I closed it. The whole concept presented is truly unmanageable. Let's face it, the internet is a global free-for-all. Let the user beware.

#131548 09/25/03 06:56 AM
P
I agree.
From the beginning there has been no law governing the internet. They tried, and by the time it was possible it was too late. No one can police it now, it is too big and too fluid.
There are existing laws being enforced dealing with hackers costing companies money, the 'pervert stuff', fraud, and violations of copyright law, etc.
These are not convictions on internet use, but convictions on what the internet has been used for.
I feel there have never been laws to govern the internet, and I hope it stays that way.
It is harmless. If you don't like what it does to your sys, then don't go online with your favourite machine, stupid!

#131549 09/25/03 07:10 AM
P
99% of the problem with viruses, worms, et al is due to you-know-who writing software that allows this to happen.

If there is going to be licensing and regulation (and as something of a libertarian, I'd say that's a big "if") it would be better aimed at making the software giants improve their trashy programs and at getting rid of all the pop-up junk and other garbage that is on the net.

The drawback would be that any sort of official regulation to do that would undoubtedly stifle the open and free nature of the Internet for everyone else too.

#131550 09/25/03 07:39 AM
S
arlighty then, just for the libertarian constiutionalists , to which i side also.....

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 09-25-2003).]

#131551 09/25/03 08:25 AM
P
pauluk, I agree with your point.
Is it true that 'certain' new OS systems from 'said company', have to link to the net every month or so for 'licence verification'? If the link doesn't verify, then your OS fails?

#131552 09/25/03 12:19 PM
99% of the problem with viruses, worms, et al is due to you-know-who writing software that allows this to happen.
Paul,

I think it depends on how you look at it. I'm more angry with the people that write and try to spread these worms and virusses and I think that's where the blame really belongs. The OS or it's creators aren't really causing these problems other people are.

I think it's true that the more viable solution is to make the OS more secure, but's that's only because there's no way to prevent our fellow man from trying to hurt others. Don't we complain about having to "dumb down" the Electrical Systems we install and follow codes that seem to try to protect the consumer from their own stupidity? In reality isn't blaming the OS for allowing viruses etc. like blaming Clothing manufacturers because their products aren't bulletproof?

Bill

Bill
#131553 09/25/03 12:48 PM
C
C-H Offline
Blaming an OS for allowing viruses is like blaming a homeowner for causing burglaries by not having a strong enough lock on the door.

#131554 09/25/03 01:58 PM
I can't say that I agree with the remedies offered in the story, but I think it raises some important points.

I think it's time for more Computer-based instruction to become part of school curriculum and not just as an elective or optional area of study.

Bill

Bill
#131555 09/26/03 04:57 AM
P
. I'm more angry with the people that write and try to spread these worms and virusses and I think that's where the blame really belongs. The OS or it's creators aren't really causing these problems other people are.
Oh yes, undoubtedly. I didn't mean to imply that the writers of these destructive things aren't the ones to be held primarily responsible.

If we have to accept the reality that these people are out there, however, what can be done about it? We could try to implement a system which tracks every user so that anyone sending this garbage can be traced and suitably dealt with, but then we're back to imposing such a level of control that we'd risk stifling the natural free-flow of information. Such a system would also be tremendously difficult to implement, leaving aside concerns over privacy and civil liberties.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard