ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#131308 05/25/03 12:06 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
What is a Server exactly?.
What tasks does it perform?.

#131309 05/25/03 11:21 PM
C
Hi Trumpy, while I certainly won't pretend to be an expert, my definition of a server has always been: Any computer that serves multiple workstations on a network. This can vary from a PC running a LAN with no connection to the outside world (Local only), or up to a webserver serving pages to all comers.

Hope that helps.

#131310 05/26/03 12:51 AM
B
A computer or device on a network that manages network resources. For example, a file server is a computer and storage device dedicated to storing files. Any user on the network can store files on the server. A print server is a computer that manages one or more printers, and a network server is a computer that manages network traffic. A database server is a computer system that processes database queries.

Servers are often dedicated, meaning that they perform no other tasks besides their server tasks. On multiprocessing operating systems, however, a single computer can execute several programs at once. A server in this case could refer to the program that is managing resources rather than the entire computer.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/s/server.html [Don't choke on all the ads.]

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 05-26-2003).]

#131311 05/31/03 07:35 PM
Broom Pusher and
Server also applies to individuals bringing food, drinks and other consumables to you, of whom are typically tipped a percentage of the check's total [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Just felt like being silly.

The replies above by ECN members are / should be just what you are looking for.

BTW a LAN (Local Area Network) doesn't absolutely require any dedicated Servers in order to function and operate as a LAN.
An example is a simple Peer-To-Peer Network. It does not specify any machine as Workstation or Server - only users/clients (ohhh, you netgeeks will kill me for using those terms!!!).

On Peer-To-Peer Networks, any machine can be used as a Server, or all machines may be Servers- all depends on what the criteria involved is and how readilly folders (directories) are shared.

More in-depth and "powerful" (so to speak) LANs utilize several servers and different types of servers (as described in Bjarney's post).

File/Servers on Large LANs / WANs may incorporate 1 to 255 stand-alone machines - each having fixed disk drives in a "RAID" configuration (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Diskfrives).

Print/Servers may be simple "Caches" which are diskless DRAM memory banks with a NIC, all in a small case (they look similar to Switches/Hubs) and are addressable via TCP/IP; others may be stand-alone PC type machines. These function to "Spool" print jobs from network workstations to one or several printers.

Communication Servers (Comm Servers) can be simple units like ADSL Bridge Routers, more sofisticated units like Cisco Routers and such, or may be a stand-alone PC type machine. The basic function here is to share Communication lines across a network. Simple example is sharing a single telephone line with two or more machines (work stations), for tasks like faxing or WAN access.

Internet Servers are like a combination of File and Comm servers. They may be Local (proxy Servers) or contained within an ISP and / or a Telco's CO (Central Office).

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#131312 06/13/03 11:11 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Sorry,
I never bothered to check if this subject had been posted before.
Frank Cinder had a topic in the list of posts regarding this subject!.

Link Copied to Clipboard