ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 273 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#131213 04/19/03 06:27 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
I've got some speakers on my computer,
that when I play some music through them, I can hear a sort of clicking or a "tapping"-like sound over the top of the music, this normally happens during peaks in the music.
Is it the speakers doing this, or is it the signal coming from the sound card?.
I haven't got a pair of headphones or another set of speakers, to see what is causing it.
Any ideas?.

B
Trumpy — A cheap set of headphones would allow you to "split the systems in half" and effectively eliminate the speaker/amplifiers or the sound card as a source of problems.

P
Does the noise disappear when you turn down the volume control, and thus reduce the level of the peaks? Is it only on one of the speakers or both?

Trumpy Offline OP
Paul,
It's still there, regardless of how the volume control is set.
Just wondered if it wasn't the speaker cones
vibrating, the speakers are pretty cheap, they were just an "add-on" when I bought the computer.
It affects both speakers, too, BTW.
There is a website URL on one of the speakers, may go and have a look at that.
It's also got a CE mark on it, this may be the problem!. [Linked Image]

P
O.K., I was thinking that if it only happened on peaks when the volume was turned up, it could be a power supply problem (e.g. bad filter capacitor).

I didn't think to ask before, but has this just started, or have these units always sounded that way? Some of the stuff on the market these days is pretty low quality.

K
I don't know what operating system you're using, but it could be the software. In Win 3.1 you could adjust the sound buffer size to take care of that problem, not sure about more current systems.

Trumpy Offline OP
kale,
I'm using Windows XP, but I have never heard of this sort of thing happening before.
I think it may be the really cheap set of speakers that came with the computer when I bought it.
I'm not sure what "sort" of sound card I've got though, must check.
Also, can anyone tell me what the output impedance of a sound card is?, is it 8 ohms or is it something different?.
I am looking at building a proper amp and speakers, with better bass and midrange response, anyone know of any good kits for this?. [Linked Image]

P
Trumpy,
The speakers themselves may well be in the region of 8 ohms, but don't forget that these computer "speakers" contain their own built-in amplifier. The output on the sound card is just a normal line-level audio signal.

For kits, have you tried Jaycar Electronics?
www.jaycar.com.au

Trumpy Offline OP
Paul,
What I meant was, I was wondering if there was a standard output impedance for sound cards, sort of like a figure not to go under with a series-parallel network as in a set of speakers and the odd cross-over. [Linked Image]

Trumpy Offline OP
Paul,
My search has come up with nothing of any real results.
I might have a go at designing and building my own amp and speakers.
I thought about basing the amp on a pair of LM 3876 Amplifier IC's and taking it from there.
I have already bought the speakers and components for the cross-overs.
Just have to work out the circuit for the amp. [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard