ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
W
wirewiz Offline OP
Any one know how to tell if my monitor or video card went out? While working in MSWORD the monitor went blank and refreshed itself, only on the bottom half of the monitor is now in use. I can slide the mouse up to the black half of the screen and drag things down and reduce them to use the bottom half of the screen. A reel pain! [Linked Image]
Thanks, Wirewiz

P
If I've interpreted your description correctly, I'd say the adapter card in the computer is at fault rather than the monitor, unless it's a really unusual fault.

A failure in the monitor's vertical sweep circuitry would be more likely to squash and distort the whole picture down into a smaller area.

W
wirewiz Offline OP
Paul, When you say "adapter card" would that be the same as the video card?
Thanks for the help!
Wirewiz

W
wirewiz Offline OP
Hey Paul, Fixed the problem, it was the monitor. Strangest thing I've seen in a while. It looked like half the tube went out.

Thanks for the input,
Wirewiz

P
O.K., so I was wrong and it was an unusual fault! [Linked Image]

You've got my curiosity now. What exactly did you do to fix it? Or is it one of those situations where you're not actually sure?!

W
wirewiz Offline OP
Paul, Went to the local computer store and described the situation and the kid who was there said it was probably the monitor. He suggested that I try a new video card first since that was less $$$. But since he happened to have a closeout on a new 19" monitor [Linked Image] and they only had one left I thought I would take a chance. Took it home plugged it in and it worked perfectly.
Just got lucky I guess.

19" NEC MultiSync $140.00 US

Least expensive monitor I have ever bought!

Wirewiz

P
Oh well -- I guess it will remain a mystery. I suppose if the monitor was a new-fangled type with digital processing 'twixt input and tube it could do it, but on a conventional "old-fashioned" type it would have to be a pretty obscure fault. Just had me curious.

Glad you got it fixed!

Link Copied to Clipboard