ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#130985 01/31/02 10:31 PM
N
Nick Offline OP
I recently reformatted the hard drive on my computer. I used the recovery disc supplied by the manufacturer that was supposed to re install the factory installation. Well, it has a few problems. It did not install all the drivers. I am working through that problem. What I am clueless on is now after a few hours of operation, it crashes. Usually with a kernel32.dll error. I restart, run a Norton scan and I always comes up with the same 15 registry errors. Missing or invalid ActiveX/COM sub key entries. It refers to an invalid application identifier. Norton fixes them. I compute happily for an hour or two and repeat the process. Any ideas?

#130986 02/01/02 12:59 AM
Nick,

Is the hardware configuration the same as when you got the Computer or have parts been replaced or upgraded?

Bill

Bill
#130987 02/01/02 07:55 PM
N
Nick Offline OP
Bill,
It's a HP Pavilion lap top and 100% stock.

#130988 02/01/02 11:28 PM
Nick,

I've always had luck reinstalling Windows. It seems to solve a lot of problems. I'd first look in Device Manager to see if it reports any conflicts or duplicate items. It's always possible that they changed something on your computer before shipping which didn't match the originally planned configuration. You can also check the HP website for any updates, patches, FAQs and such.

Good Luck,
Bill

Bill
#130989 02/07/02 12:55 AM
Broom Pusher and
Nick,

Try Bill's suggestion of reinstalling the Operating System first, then see if things are stable.

Make sure to have all the hardware [drives, adapters, etc] as they were when you first pulled the boxes apart and turned it on the very first time. That's the way the restore utility will attempt to do things.

If the GPF persists, try a "Clean Install" by using a stand alone version of the Operating System [Windows]. This will require you to get all the needed drivers for your stuff [Audio, MODEM, Video, etc.].

Best if you perform a full format prior to anything. use the "Unconditional" switch, which is /u. The syntax at the command prompt [DOS prompt, AKA the "C" prompt] would be:

FORMAT C: /U

Also verify the disk has been setup for FAT32 by running FDISK at the command prompt. If not setup for FAT32, this might cause Kernal32 errors.

Some applications that run in real mode have conflicts with the FAT 32, so this would cause the error also. These would be older apps, like ones written before 1997. Ones that keep the file names to the 8.3 structure would be suspects.

Another sort of likely suspect would be DRAM failure. It may have been masked prior to the reinstallation, due to what ever way the Operating System decided to allocate Kernals.

Try to get the fault to occur in a predictable matter. When you get the fault, close your applications, restart windows, then try to make it happen again.
See where the locations [shown in hexadecimals] are listed each time. Random locations would be software, but not always.

Is this coming up as a software level fault? [the windows dialog box]. Is this shown as Invalid Page Fault or GPF [General Protection Fault]?
Is there a corresponding Hardware fault screen [AKA "The Blue Screen Of Death"]?

These can point to hardware problems [could be as simple as a buggy driver, to a failing adapter] and may warn of impending Power Supply Disaster!

Let me / us know what's up!

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#130990 02/16/02 11:05 PM
N
Nick Offline OP
Thanks guys, I tried all the updates. That did not work. When I get some time I will go through Scott’s list and see what happens. In the mean time I think it’s time to contact Microsoft. [Linked Image]

#130991 03/26/02 09:11 PM
D
How much RAM is in your computer?

Link Copied to Clipboard