ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#130951 09/19/01 06:09 PM
Nimda looks Nasty!
Make sure that your Anti-virus software is up-to-date and running.

.. the attachment can be executed even if the user does not open it and without the user's knowledge.
http://www.mcafee.com/anti-virus/viruses/nimda/default.asp?cid=2444

Bill

Bill
S
whoa!
U mean you just get your e-mail , don't even open it, and you get the bug?

what next? i start my 'puter in the morning and it just blows up??? [Linked Image]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
I think that is marketing hype. You have to be using an integrated e-mail client like Outlook or Outlook Express, and/or have "I am stupid" options turned on. You will not get a virus from just receiving e-mail if you don't use Microsoft e-mail clients.

sorry to cross-post...but...

Go here to get a list of options to avoid and/or fix the Nimda Virus...

Boy, spelled it wrong twice!

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-19-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
The rest of the story is that it is a multiple vulnerability worm. It also attacks through web pages accessed via MS Internet Explorer 5.0... and that is where it is unbeknown to the user... not via e-mail.

Also it has recently been hypothesized based on scant evidence that receiving too many copies of Sircam can make some people start putting an apostrophe in the pronoun "its" usually between the second and third letters. An antidote is available.

Lol... Must be my problem too!

My Grammar is very poor... Grandpa ain't so rich either!

(With apologies to Pauluk)

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Broom Pusher and
Double LOL!!! ROTFLOL!!!

Love that "I Am Stupid" option!!! Need to throw that at the next person who calls me within 24 hours of getting their fully functioning PC back from me, after recovering the "Weird Blue Screens", "Nothing Works" problems [AKA 3 days + Format /U, reinstall O/S, all that junk!].

Maybe I'll write a VB app, which has some window containing a radio button with "I Am Stupid" option. Have it maybe pull up a display text box with something rude being displayed! Database the number of user functions while that app is active...

Naaa....!!!!

Scott SET

P.S. Haven't received the Sircam WORM for over 2 weeks now!!! Been burning up the trash folder!

So Nimda targets IE users or MS clients? I am once again proud to be a loyal Netscape user!!! Seems like >80% of the viruses, etc. are written to screw up some MS internet based program! Besides, I like Netscape! I was "Born" on Netscape! [Navigator version 2.2x?? being the first for me].
IE is way too artsy fartsy for me. So is AOL!
[I'm just clowning, not bashing other browsers!]

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Scott,

I used to use Netscape too when first learning about HTML because the Gold versions would let you edit pages. I've been mostly with IE (Explorer) recently because about 82% of surfers (here anyway) use Explorer compared to only 11% Netscape.

Bill

Bill
(insert geezer voice)

I started out on Netscape back in '92... when there was only pictures and text, not even background colors then, let alone images... (And we had to walk uphill both ways barefoot in the snow to transfer our bits, just whatever bits you could fit into your bare hands without spilling any... Well, 9600 bps is pretty slow... )

I've got both on my machine now, but I like the features of IE better (other than the virus susceptibility); ironically, I prefer Netscape Composer for "WYSIWYG" editing over IE's editor.

Used Eudora for email "back then" too...

One of the features of IE I like is when "viewing source" it automatically opens notepad.. makes plagiarizing so much easier!

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-21-2001).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
That might be the only feature I like about IE.

Link Copied to Clipboard