ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 252 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I have a question regarding software used to make plans and blueprint. There seem to be quite a number of inexpensive programs geared towards the consumer and small contractor.

#1 does anyone use or recommend any of these inexpensive programs?

#2 what are the most widely used formats and are they recognizable or compatible with other programs?

Bill
S
i'm all ears on this one Bill....

[Linked Image]

Sparky,

All I can see is Teeth! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Do you know of anyone that uses one of these programs? There seem to be a lot of them out there. I'm trying to find (if I can) what people are buying and using and what We would need to receive and interpret these drawings. For example I've gotten plans sent by Email that I could not read without buying that particular software. Some cross-platform translator would be nice. What have you seen used?

Bill

Bill
Broom Pusher and
Bill,

I have used TurboCAD in the past as a low cost CAD program, however I use AutoCAD exclusively now [and since 1998].

If the program you use can open a certain format [such as AutoCAD's native format .DWG and another DXF "Drawing eXchange Format"], then the version number should also be compatable.

I know that Visio can open .DWG and .DFX files, but not sure of the versions - except that the date of the program should correspond to the version of .DWG file.
MS word can also open [view] .DWG files.

When I request a CAD drawing from an Architect, I give them these two formats:

1: AutoCAD file format [.DWG],
2: Version number [Release 14].

I'll also ask for specific layers, along with the Base plan.

They send the drawings in a compatable format from these specs. Sometimes they will send in an older release format [like release 12], which I can open and format to release 14.

Having the fonts and linetypes that they used in the original layers will reflect how it looks to you on your machine.
Layers that are on / off will also reflect the look on your end.

Some commonly used CAD programs that Architects use are:

1: Microstation,
2: AutoCAD 14 and 2000,
3: ProE
4: Cadkey
5: generiCAD

Each of these programs can [or should be able to] save drawings in the common .DWG format.

Microstation is a very common used CAD program for large Architectural firms that I deal with. They usually convert .DWG files to release 14 format [AutoCAD].

If you could let me know the file extentions that you are being sent, I might be able to tell what format that is.
Typically, .DWG extentions are native AutoCAD format.

There is a less expensive version of AutoCAD, known as the "LT" versions [nick named AutoCAD LITE]. They would be well suited for the contractor that doesn't need as much power as the full version has.
The downfall with any CAD program [even the LT versions] is the extremely large learning curve.

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
S
is there a web site for this LT version?

Broom Pusher and
Steve,

Try this link [I think it's the AutoDesk Home Page]:
http://www3.autodesk.com/adsk/

Look for either AutoCAD 14 LT or 2000 LT, as these are the most current versions.

Good Luck!!

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
S
yup, it' there. interesting list of "resellers" , one of which is PC connection, south of me, on line.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard