ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
Hi

I wonder is there any technology that allow to transmit measured data from CT and VT in a digital form to a protective terminal with no copper, via Ethernet or something.

Is there any protective terminals with a digital measuring inputs?

Is there any CT and VT with a digital output (not optical CT and VT)

Thanks.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

D
I believe it may be able to done to monitor but not to provide protection. It is imperative that a protective system be fail safe if ti configuration as you have described implies that you are looking for wireless protection as was stated: "digital form to a 'protective terminal' with no copper, via Ethernet or something."

D
I'm not sure I understand your need very clearly, but if your looking to monitor your inputs, and transmit that data wirelessly, or via the ethernet, this would work.
http://www.electroind.com/shark100s.html

A
Thanks [Linked Image]

I am talking bout delivering measurements in a digital way from CT to relay in oreder to protect a line, transformer etc.

I believe I had seen some info bout such experemental substation before, but now cannot find it.

My article bout these kind of things is going to be published in a magazine, so I am looking for practical appliances. And I am sure to remember that I have seen ones.

B
Alex,

There are many ways to transfer protective digital info. Presently, most utilities are going to fibre, since the high EMF during fault conditions has no affect on the signal being transmitted. The fiber signal is also reliable enough for protection of xfmrs, transmission lines, buses, etc because the devices used to transmit the signal through the fiber have a self-monitoring scheme built in. The protection digital signal can travel over a 100 miles through single-mode fiber. If you feel froggy, you can check all you want at Schweitzer Engineering Labs (SEL) at www.selinc.com. Have fun reading.

[This message has been edited by BugMan (edited 11-02-2006).]

W
WFO Offline

B
Careful. Many of the optical xdcrs are experimental. And, much is unknown on how they behave under fault conditions with high X/R ratios, lightning, etc.

Link Copied to Clipboard