ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#130287 03/03/06 04:34 PM
Bumbling round the Net looking at geo-thermal heat pumps as a possible replacement for our oil-fired boiler, now that fuel prices are so high, I stumbled across solid state heat pumps: The 'Peltier' effect, where application of dc current across a semiconductor causes the device to pump heat from one face to the other, by means of electron transport. With a COP [coefficient of performance] of up to 0.7, not of much interest.
But further digging revealed a new technology called CoolChips[TM], in which a vacuum-gap of 30-100 Angstroms allows " thermotunnelling", or the passing of electrons across a very small space with much improved electron transport. This is claimed to have the potential to outperform Peltier devices by 11 times, [ COP = 8 ] and thus beat conventional heat pumps or air-con compressor/evaporator devices by 18%, with a Carnot cycle bettering 55%.
So, if electrons can transport heat, in the same way as a refrigerant - does that mean an electron can get hot or cold?

Wood work but can't!
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#130288 03/03/06 05:12 PM
Sure, and you can pick out the really cold ones, they're wearing little jackets.
(Sorry, I couldn't resist).

Actually, I don't think so. It's more likely an effect of passing a current thru a junction, similar in a distant way of passing a current thru anothet type of junction which causes it to emit light. We never think about which electrons are brighter, it's just the effect of the current flow thru the particular junction.

Electrons can have more or less (heat) energy associated with them. Electrons in orbits around a nucleus will jump to a higher orbit shell if they absorb enough energy. If they absorb energy but not enough to jump to a higher orbit shell, they will just emit a gamma ray (or x-ray or photon) to lower their energy to that required for the shell they are in.

Loose electrons, or any other particle, will exhibit a change in energy level by a corresponding change in their kennitic energy (velocity).

Keep in mind that no one really knows what an electron really is. We observe their behavior and make theories, but what they actually consist of is pretty much up for debate. No one has seen one, and never will.

Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.

Link Copied to Clipboard