ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Z
zed Offline OP
Does anyone know why, when a reply is logged regarding my question, I am now not notified by email??

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

W
To maintain the energy stored in an inductor, you short circuit it. Since the energy is stored in the magnetic field, and this requires current flow, you want the current to flow unimpeded.

If you want some fun, imagine an electrical power distribution system based upon ideal constant current sources, rather than constant voltage sources.

-Jon

zed,
Does anyone know why, when a reply is logged regarding my question, I am now not notified by email??
Did you tick the box below the Original thread window that says "Email me Reply Notifications"?.
If you didn't, the notifications won't be sent to you.
This could be the reason. [Linked Image]
Cheers,
Mike. [Linked Image]

A brilliantly cogent reply John! At last, after 50 years, I now understand why that little capacitor on the points of my old motorcycle's ignition distributor was so vital!
Alan

Wood work but can't!
P
Have to add my 2 cents in commending John's excellent explanation. [Linked Image]

Just to add one very tiny point that the "d" above (as in dI/dT) is the Greek letter delta symbolizing "change." (Character sets can be a little restricting at times!)

Now, if somebody can tell me where to buy the resistance-less capacitor and coil, I can solve more than a couple of little problems..... [Linked Image]

J
Jon, you've got it exactly right. Interesting point, too -- with a constant-current system, you'd connect all the homes, businesses, etc. in series instead of parallel, and each would develop a particular voltage drop according to its power usage. By the way, that's pretty much how I've been told that incandescent street lights used to work, with current-regulating pole pegs.

Thanks again to all for the kind words.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard