ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 265 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
[Linked Image]

This schematic is what that 6 phase rectifier transformer would be connected as. The transformer in question is one of those pictures I posted to this forum, showing the neat cores!!

Apply this schematic to the picture of the black core setup - which has the X and Y secondaries.

Comments??

Scott SET - transformer worshipper [is that the right spelling [Linked Image]]

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Scott,
i don't understand the term 'rectifier x-former'

[Linked Image]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
i don't understand the term 'rectifier x-former'
In another thread Scott mentioned that this polyphasing is commonly done as a prelude to converting to DC ('rectifying'). (Because it produces a bunch of inputs that have phase separation which smooths the resulting DC output.)

Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
Steve,

Sorry to throw that one at you - it sounds like an Oxy-Moron, doesn't it??

Dspark, thank you for posting the related message!!

The term "Rectifier Transformer" just means that it is intended to be used to feed an AC to DC converter - and the first thing that the AC sees in that converter is a Rectifier [first really active component that is - really it will see fuses or breakers first [Linked Image]..].

After the currents leave the Rectifier[s] - which is [are] just an array of Diodes, it goes into a "Ripple Filter", then possibly a Voltage Regulator. After all that baloney, the output is now a somewhat stable DC - free to use as needed.

Funny thing here is this DC will be used on a typical UPS [Uninterruptable Power Supply], so after the AC has been converted into a nice clean DC, it gets inverted back into AC.

Current technology wise, we haven't yet found any other method for frequency inversion than this. If the output required either a lower Hz, or higher Hz than is present, the existing AC will be converted to DC, then the DC is turned into AC through a network of power transistors, which resembles the way an audio amplifier is connected [not very much difference between the two - they both do the same job!!].
Same goes for UPS devices, except there's no change in Hz between existing and output frequency.

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
I have edited this schematic and reposted it.
Hope it's not too large now [kinda went the other way now [Linked Image]..]

Now it's readable [Linked Image]

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
***BUMP***

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
D
Scott, this reminds me a lot of some special PDU's I was involved in the design with a company called Equi-Tech.

The PDU's are used for branch circuit distribution in data centers. Basically a 480 delta input, and 6-phase output. The big difference is the outputs were used for balanced power systems or 120/60. Really clean power, no grounded circuit conductor, no cross-over or harmonic distortion, and no noise injected into bonding & ground conductors.

The other place I have seen this used extensively is in 208 and 480 3-phase rectifiers employing SCR's used in DC battery plants in telephone offices. They still make them, but not many sold anymore as switch mode rectifiers have pretty much taken over the Telco market.

Link Copied to Clipboard