ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
sparky Offline OP
I don't know any contortionists, but i'd bet we'd have a lot in common. It seems our trade is always going into nooks and crannies not meant for the average human.

any war stories??

[Linked Image]

(Posted in another topic)

I've fit through 14.5" x 8" spaces with roofing nails protruding so most any place is accessible to me if it is open at all. Proved that one in a ceiling fan install in a room that the lady had denied my suggestion to rough in for one when it would have been easy to do so.
When the carpenter removed the drywall in the laundry closet to install a hatch, he said I'd never fit. I'm 6'1" and 140 lbs., so needless to say, I have a high aspect ratio. Quite limber too...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Tom Offline
As an apprentice (back when there were dinosaurs) I was helping out on rewiring a farm house in California. There was one corner where there was very little clearance between the bottom of the joist & the ground. Like '66, I'm tall & fairly thin. It was tight enough that the journeyman had to pull me back out by my ankles.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Sparky,

Once in an attic with almost flat roof and about 12" at peak I had to crawl across (blown-in insulation) to pull wire from Fan to switch. I get down to the other end and saw a pair of eyes shining back at me in the Flashlight beam! - Couldn't turn around, had to back out slowly to the hatch.

That was a memorable one! [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
S
sparky Offline OP
Good one Bill!
once you've overcome any claustraphobic tendencies the trade presents, you find you've got the wee-beasties to deal with!
[Linked Image]

A
I was working under a major fish processing plant, much of the discarded fish falls down into this crawl space.
This crawl space is hundreds of feet long and very dark with no lighting at all.
As I scanned around with my flash light I saw a cat the size of a dog, this was no house cat, it was wild and I was in its kingdom........needless to say I got out of that place in a hurry.

Bill's story puts me in mind of the time I had to install washer and dryer circuits to an apartment in an old building. It was in the low part of the roof, blown in insulation about a foot thick, August, 130 degrees in the attic, my glasses were fogging with the ventilator on (didn't have a valved-type) sweat pouring off me, I could just see the hole where a previous sparky about 50 years ago had fed a wire. The roofing nails were protruding in, my glasses had to come off to fit further, after four failed attempts to feed the wire through the same hole, I opted for feeding it through the nearby closet in conduit.

I have never been so claustrophobic in my life. I hate blown-in insulation. I felt smothered in there. (Shudder) Not to mention the scratches from old tetanus infected nails...

It's the only time that I've been beaten.

No wee-beasties or otherwise to deal with...only battling my own mind, and lost.

Then there's the yellow jackets tore out of a hole that a backhoe was digging about 10 feet away from where I was installing the meterbase. I was the first target of their aggression.

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
S
sparky Offline OP
Of course there's also the artifacts we tend to also come across on these ventures...
i wish i had an eye for the value of such things, i've probably crawled right over items of Smithstonian caliber.
[Linked Image]

I've always wanted to find a Confederate uniform in someone's attic. No luck yet!

To tie in the claustrophobia/ Smithsonian thing:

I've helped carry sabre-tooth tiger bones out of a Cave in Pendleton County, WV. They were going to the Smithsonian. All I saw were bags of dirt, but still a cool story!
We set up a fire brigade in the cave and handed the couple hundred bags out. So I held every bone that came out!

Haven't seen said tiger on display in the museum yet though...

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
S
sparky Offline OP
Virgil;
hope you find those confederate duds, you should wear them on your web site if you do!
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard