ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#124800 12/17/06 12:44 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
I started wiring a house the other day, and when I started the 3rd floor, I glanced out the window. I thought to myself, “What is that wire?” I followed it, and, LO and behold, It’s the PRIMARY (7.2 kv) for the transformer.

The primary wire is right outside the windows- I mean RIGHT outside. No more than 3 feet away, just lean out and grab on if you are tired of life. The transformer is about 8 feet. I said something to the builder, and he is paying the POCO to move the pole and changes as much as possible to underground. I don’t know how on earth the framers did this side of the house.

- JohnJ0906
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

H
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

YIKES!

I'd assume just dumb luck :P

Cliff
H
It also appears as if the tree limbs are surrounding the transformer..

Cliff
R
I love the view, I'll take it!

Who in their right mind would construct a house that close to an HV line and transformer?.
I'm guessing that the lines were there before the house was and any architect with any brains and a measuring tape, would have known that his design would have taken that side of his "creation" well within the safe distance from this equipment, even before the slab was poured.
One other thing that springs to mind is, how is a line crew supposed to get a bucket between the house and the transformer safely, to do any work on it?.
IMO, that tree needs a haircut for a start.

G
Where the H is the inspector? Surely he/she should have red tagged this.

[This message has been edited by Gus99 (edited 12-18-2006).]

J
This looks like the exact same setup as one a town over from me. Spring of 2006 poor siding worker got his AL ladder a little too close. The neighbor across the street said she saw a blue flash the size of a volkswagon and the guy at the ladder dropped to the ground. He died. I have been wanting to get pictures. They spliced the lines back together so even now with the butt-spice you can piece together what happened.

J
Yes, that tree needs trimming! As I said, I have no idea how the carpenters did this side of the house. There is a driveway on the other side of the wires, so the POCO can get equipment to it.

E
My guess would be that the walls were framed with sheathing intact on the floor and lifted into place from the INSIDE. Maybe the windows were placed that way as well.

Gotta love old BG&E. Their union contract doesn't cover tree trimming ("Hey, that's the tree trimmer's job"). Any tree trimmer that touched that would be a fool. Maybe that's why it's the way it is; nobody wants to be responsible for it.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
R
Jps1006:
Something like that happened some years ago not far from here I was told (Stratford Ont) where some siding guys pushed a scafhold into a 27.6 Kv line. Was told the fault current through the 2 workers was around the 90,000A mark, and was also told that an automatic circuit breaker / automatic re-closer DID trip but tried to reset a couple of times as its designed to do and kept belting the 2 workers that were still in contact with the scaffhold and ground.
It was the same deal with the building being built too close to an existing O/H line.

A.D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard