ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
submitted by HCE727:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
I saw a picture of one of those in an an older Murray- Jenson or Hydel catalogue somewhere. Never actually have ever seen one installed. Have also seen in a Leviton catalog a meter socket extension that is a "Transient Voltage Surge Surpressor". Not a bad idea IMHO.
A.D

[This message has been edited by Rewired (edited 10-11-2006).]

Z
Good idea, but I don't see the PoCos around here using anything like that. It seems subject to damage more than a regular flat install...and it looks plastic.(?)

N
They are plastic, at least the one I saw was. A co-worker had to replace one once that melted due to a fault. A neat concept, but, not nessecarily the most practical for all installations.

The concept of the meter socket extension is so the PoCo can read the meter. This extension was taken out of a residential garage. All the PoCo had to do was look in the window and read the meter. If the meter socket did not have the extension the PoCo could not read the meter.

Hank
Kind of a neat gadget, but as pointed out already not so good under fault conditions...and this one looks like the clips have been getting warm...

A moot point nowadays anyway, since a lot of POCO's are going to electronic meters and AMR (a remote reading protocol.)

Stupid should be painful.

Link Copied to Clipboard