ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 216 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
That's an interesting one. When did Australia switch to metric-sized cables?

Around the mid to late 70s.
Very conveniently we also changed to using insulated earths about the same time so if you find an installed T&E with a bare earth wire in it you know it's imperial.

T
WOULD YOU BELEIVE THE PAPER IN ROMEX IS TO PREVENT FLASH FIRE FROM OCCURING

I
Larry - twin and earth with UK old colours is available on Ebay in 100m reels depending on how much you're willing to spend on getting some!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-5-twin-and-...9228QQcategoryZ57215QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

R
Bob,
I read an article in a trade mag that said solid provides a slight energy savings over the life of an electrical system.
How? The amount of copper is the same for solid and stranded and given the skin effect, yes a very small effect at 60 hz, the impedance of stranded should be slightly less.
For us solid does not slow us down, but we use more than the code required size boxes and are used to the solid.
If you haven't tried stranded how do you know?
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
C
I'd love to have some of that wire for DC circuits and switch loops!

Come to Canada then. We have red/black 12/2 NMB (called NMD-90 here, no paper though) up the wazoo. It is mostly used for electric heating, but I have seen it used for switchloops. It comes in red sheathing instead of yellow or white.

[This message has been edited by classicsat (edited 04-17-2006).]

I
Bob,

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read an article in a trade mag that said solid provides a slight energy savings over the life of an electrical system.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How? The amount of copper is the same for solid and stranded and given the skin effect, yes a very small effect at 60 hz, the impedance of stranded should be slightly less.

Don't know, I also did not say I believed it, only that I read it a few years ago in one of the trade magazines. [Linked Image]

If you haven't tried stranded how do you know?

I never said we don't use stranded.

All our cable (smaller than 8) is solid, many (most) of the jobs are specified solid.

As I said the EMT job I am doing now the wire type is not specified so it is up to me. I will choose stranded, although the supply house already sent out solid 10 Green.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
R
Bob,
As I said the EMT job I am doing now the wire type is not specified so it is up to me. I will choose stranded, ...
It is about 15% more expensive than solid, so don't get me in trouble with your estimator if you don't make up the additional material costs with a reduction in the labor costs. [Linked Image]
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
P
The paper in NM cable is there to help protect the conductors from abrasion and keep the shape of the cable, sort of like Juting did years ago...do you remember the juting?

Pierre Belarge
T
German NYM and Austrian YM (basically the same stuff) have a soft rubber filler. Quality cables with rubber filler are real easy to strip. Only nick the sheath all the way around, bend the cable and pull off the sheath. Love it!

Strande isn't really used for fixed domestic wiring here (many people even believe it's illegal). I really prefer solid for anything up to 10mm2!

At a friend's place somebody wired the bathroom with 2.5mm2 stranded. He did an extreme hack job, only connecting half of the strands (it's a miracle the place never burnt down!). When we tried to reterminate it correctly, using ferrules I hated it! Most of all getting the wires into the choc blocks was crazy work! We ended up repulling everything using 2.5mm2 solid.

P
pauluk Offline OP
Although British 2.5 sq. mm "T&E" has solid conductors, when it comes to singles for use in conduit, 2.5 is available in both solid and stranded.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard