ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (gfretwell, Scott35), 262 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Here are some pics of a rather interesting, very upscale residential kitchen.
For this post, let's ignore the island /bar....I promise we will return to it in another thread!

The main counter measures just over 12 ft long (not including the ovens). As you can see, it is interrupted by a six-burner stove, and the upper cabinets actually come all the way down to the counter. The 2nd pic even shows how thw 12" of counter in front of the cabinets must be kept clear in order for the drawers to open.

So, as I see it, the only space requiring a receptacle is the 39" part at the end! 12 ft counter = ONE receptacle?
Also....with that little counter space, does the "two circuits for small appliances" part of the code make any sense?

Renosteinke

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

L
I guess that 39" space will (should) have two recep's, one on each circuit.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
A
In my opinion the counter space in front of the drawers, even though they have to be kept clear, are counter space and would have to be counted for the receptacles.
Alan--

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
J
Alan, I agree. That means that the counter area in front of the other set of drawers needs to have a receptacle, too. Speaking of which...

Isn't that a receptacle just above the right end of the stove? Whatever gets plugged in there, the cord will drape conveniently across the burners! Or maybe it's for a wall-mount phone ;-)

Upscale? Well, the cabinets are nice.

That setup gets my vote for ugliest design!! Upscale doesn't always equal practical-or good taste! [Linked Image]

But I would be inclined to agree with Larry, two recpts, two circuits in the open space.

I would be inclined to differ with Alan, though. Anything placed in front of those drawers would end up on the floor sure as shootin. But I guess for Code interpretation, the argument would center on whether that space is "usable"?

Stupid should be painful.
Cat Servant
ON either side of the stove there is about 10" of clear counter before the cabinets begin. Odlly enough, the receptacles that were there were replaced with blank covers- at the homeowners' request.
I couldn't find any requirement that they remain.

H
Do they count a counter top garage as counter space? Or do they count the first receptacle to be 2' from the garage? I don't have a certain book here with me, it is in my office. I think there was a diagram of it in there. Can they really put an appliance in front of the drawer that opens up? Just some thoughts.

Cat Servant
Harold, that is why I posted a pic with the drawers extended...as I see it, the drawers are not in any way an "appliance garage."

Though..for the sake of this discussion..what if there were an appliance garage? Would any receptacles inside the garage count toward required receptacles?

G
The NEC calls for receptacles to be installed at "Wall Counter Spaces." Only the 39" section mentioned above qualifies, IMO.

There's no requirement for "Cabinet-backed counter spaces." [Linked Image]

-George
G
John,
(5) Receptacle Outlet Location. Receptacle outlets shall be located above, but not more than 500 mm (20 in.) above, the countertop. Receptacle outlets rendered not readily accessible by appliances fastened in place, appliance garages, sinks, or rangetops as covered in 210.52(C)(1), Exception, or appliances occupying dedicated space shall not be considered as these required outlets.
By the words of the NEC, a receptacle inside an appliance garage is not required.

Looking over the ROP's from 2005, though, CMP-2 contradicts itself.
Panel statement in Proposal 2-220 to make appliance garages like sinks and ranges, as breaks in countertop:
The panel does not agree that appliance garages generally split the countertops into separate spaces. The face of the appliance garage
does not typically extend to the outer edge of the countertop; a work surface is available directly in front of the appliance garage that is
contiguous with the counters on either side of the appliance garage.
But then they rejected a proposal to make appliance garages part of the countertop!
Panel statement in response to Proposal 2-224:
Receptacle outlets within appliance garages may be provided as a convenience to the user to allow particular appliances to remain
plugged in while they are stored. They may not be readily accessible for the use of other small appliances such as handheld mixers or
electric carving knives that may not be stored in the garage. GFCI protection is required for all receptacles that serve countertop spaces.
They seem to consider the receptacle inside the garage as needing GFI protection, and serving the countertop. But it's not allowed to be considered serving the countertop.

If they can't get it right, how are we supposed to?

-George

Link Copied to Clipboard