ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 267 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hello to all , i just joined the website , i am looking foward to all it has to offer, i too keep a camera with me and would like to share some photos . last week i was sent to a strip mall where there was a fire, check out the mess i found ! also see the thin wire that looks like a slinky that is the remains of the exaust fan

John (jynb)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the pictures John. And let me say Welcome to ECN.

What a mess. Let me guess, the cause of the fire has been determined to be an electrical fault, right?

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
S
What ever happened to "a workman like manner?"

Welcome to ECN.

Since when is romex used in commercial installations? [Linked Image]

R
Since when is romex used in commercial installations?

Everyday.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
M
thanks ryan- the key here isn't the romex, it's the way it was installed.

there are thousands of buildings wired correctly in romex that function properly everyday.

the only thing that really catches my eye is that there is mc/bx in the building, makes me wonder about the occupancy and the allowable wiring methods here. Also, if the MC/BX was the original install, whoever ran romex didn't keep the integrity of the building or perform in a workmanlike manner.

but don't blame the romex, it was the romexer that's to blame.

I've yet to come across romex installed in a commercial installation over here. (at least that wasn't put in by someones cousins friends uncles brother-in-law who knows "lectricull")

Most houses here of the romex era are wired with romex, and I personally have nothing against that when it's done properly... But finding romex in a strip mall would suprise me about as much as the schuko outlet I found in someones garage... in Cerritos, California [Linked Image]

B
I run into an awful lot of NM used to wire 2x4s in commercial drop ceilings. I believe that the majority of these buildings were inspected, so it must have been legal at one point, yes?

-John

R
I know of only one commercial building here that was done in Romex.. Only thing is its a metal clad, wood framed building... because its "combustable" they allowed romex, and the only point at which it is visable is where it emerges from the wall and enters the panel... anything that is exposed or would be such as if there was going to be a drop ceiling in the original plans somewhere, the drops to the lights would have been in BX cable...
A.D

P
I do not understand what the issue is when using NM cable in a commercial installation.

For those who may think it is not permitted, please provide us with the section number of the NEC.

Pierre Belarge
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard