ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#122784 01/16/06 06:08 PM
Would this be the utility's equivalent of a messy junction box? I see makeup like this quite often, and always wonder if there is some "standard" that should be followed.

[Linked Image]

T
The POCO motto may be...

"It's fine as long as the meter is spinning."

Dave

Well.... There is 2 ways to look at it.

One would be yes, being that the utility tied all this in together like the above pic shows... It could be neater, but how much neater really?

The other way to look at it, is one riser could be installed with multiple metering eliminating the need for 5 separate risers needing to be fed. This looks like the back of the standard 1960's era strip mall where people have needed more power than what the place was originally designed with and each tenant has had their own unit upgraded and a riser installed accordingly... Of course this would also require the strip mall owner to anti up some cash for upgrading the metering and disconnects. That typically won't happen without an act of congress, a category F4 or stronger hurricane, and Ryan Jackson opening a meade brewery in the formentioned strip mall [Linked Image]

G
i know who you are talking about in regards to POCO... meaning the utility company.. but can somone slap me on the face and then define the abbreviation of POCO??

M
slap you twice...

POwer COmpany

I
The problem with upgrading and adding on to existing equipment is that most of the time customers aren't pleased about being taken off supply while we carry out non-essential work on their equipment.

In cases like this, it probably wasn't feasible to kill the incoming supply so that it could be tidied up and so the connections have to be made where they can.

It might not be pretty, but as long as the clearances are all ok then it is safe and functional.

Ian

Safe? What about that rock perched on the ledge ready to brain someone below?

Alan

Wood work but can't!
R
good point Alan.

this is a hard hat area. ( i din't notice that rock before ).

Ray

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.

Link Copied to Clipboard