ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12164 08/01/02 10:10 PM
J
JBN1611 Offline OP
Well, I've only been in the trade for a year, but I'm thinking about moving on to something else. I want to learn the trade, but that is hard to do when the people you work with are more interested in just making money, and getting the job done fast. It doesn't help too much with the learning process. I am thinking about trying something different, not sure about what I want to do yet though. I have already given my notice at my current job. I'm gonna look for work in another city...smaller city. If I can't find anything that catches my attention then I may try to hire on with an Electrical Contractor in that area, just to see if they are any different. Anyways, I've enjoyed reading the posts on this forum, and I've learned more here than at work, so thanks for what y'all do. I'll keep reading, I still want to learn what I can.

Thanks,
Justin

#12165 08/01/02 10:16 PM
Justin, If your working residential in a highly competitive area, then yes, I've been there and can relate... Maybe making the shift to Industrial would give you more satisfaction. My short experience in Industrial was a great learning experience, and their main concern was safety, then code, then profit.

A change of area may be a good solution too, but you can find both types of contractors just about anywhere...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#12166 08/01/02 10:24 PM
J
JBN1611 Offline OP
Sparky66,

It's not the residential. I can do that at a faster pace. It's the commercial, where I'm still learning alot, but I can't get any information from the foreman.

-Justin

#12167 08/01/02 11:08 PM
W
Justin,
Don't throw in the towel so soon. Let your forman know of your interest in learning the trade and the owner of the company if he/she is available. I'll be honest the first few years are not all fun if all your doing is digging or moving material around. Did you let them know why you were leaving? Are you in a training program?
If you enjoy it keep the faith and knocking on doors eventualy you will find the right place it just takes time.
Wirewiz

#12168 08/01/02 11:22 PM
C
CRW Offline
If you haven't yet, you should definitely get involved in an electrical apprenticeship. You'll have an opportunity to learn the "book knowledge" you need in the trade--electrical theory, NEC, etc., as well as get exposure to a variety of hands on experience on the job. Plus the opportunity to earn more money as you advance in your skills.

#12169 08/01/02 11:32 PM
J
JBN1611 Offline OP
Whenever I ask questions, the foreman just looks at me like I'm getting on his nerves. Sometimes he just makes smartalleck remarks. When I ask him how to do something his general reply is "however you want to do it." That doesn't work for me, I don't like that. So, whenever I do something, I don't ask him anything anymore. The people in the office know this guy is a loser. I think it would be better to look somewhere else. Anyways. I appreciate y'alls help.

-Justin

#12170 08/02/02 06:06 AM
S
Justin,
i can appreciate your frustration, myself having spent part of my apprenticeship working for a dummy.

i made a game of it, to my advantage.....

i would reference anything we installed as to the violations and/or compliance.

to this day, i still run into his 'time bombs' ( one popped a poco primary last week..) [Linked Image]

you can learn a lot from a dummy....

#12171 08/02/02 08:46 AM
E
If you think you'd like Atlanta, give me a call/e-mail. I'm looking for a good lead man and you might not be ready yet, but it sounds like you might be the type of person I'm looking for. Good luck.

#12172 08/02/02 05:44 PM
J
JBN1611 Offline OP
Sparky, I see what you mean, that would work out to be beneficial. I usually don't work with this guy a lot though. He gives me a project and just expects me to know what I'm doing, so in the end I have to keep going back and asking questions. Although, I quit asking questions a while back because I realized that I always got the same answer. Thanks for the advice though.

Electric Eagle, That's a generous offer. You're right too, I wouldn't be ready to be a leadman yet, [Linked Image]. Even though Atlanta isn't that far away, it is not really a place I'd like to live....too big for this country boy. heh. I'm originally from North Louisiana, after I graduated High School I moved to TN and I'm living with some friends and their family. I work/worked in Knoxville, up until today. Thanks [Linked Image]

#12173 08/03/02 10:47 PM
J
JBN1611 Offline OP
I'm still debating about whether or not to get out or stick it out. Does anybody know of any Electrical Contractors in Crossville, TN?

Thanks,
Justin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard