ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#121553 07/22/05 11:29 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Photo submitted by D Thomas
The attached photo is a hot joint on a 3phase motor isolator, the reason for the failure is that an incorrect lug (copper) was used to terminate an aluminium cable. As you can see in the photo the other two lugs under the tape are much larger, these are bi-metallic lugs.

[Linked Image]

Thanks mate.

#121554 07/24/05 07:31 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
I was recently reading an article on Crimp Lugs used in electrical installations and apparently this particular problem is the most common cause of cable/connector failure, next to using the wrong sized connector.
Looks like this particular crimp lug has just corroded and burned away because of the higher resistance connection. [Linked Image]
This could have been a nasty failure had it gone un-noticed.

#121555 01/19/06 06:54 AM
R
It requires the isolator to be replaced and white Ø cable extended and re terminated to new islolator switch to remedie this fault properly.

Same here too the Al cable needs enough surface area in the lug to have a low resistance connection between cable and lug

I have found it here many times too in distribution pillars and transformers.
Wrong lugs used to terminate to busbar or NZI fuses in transformers. or Cu droppers made to connect bimettalic lugs to and not enough surface area between lug and dropper causing hot spots.

The bimetalic lugs also rely on the surface area between lug and terminal to allowe for a low resistance surface hence the larger size of the eye.

Seen many times that solid Al 70 mm² cables just been srewed straight into HRC fuse carriers without any transition joint or joint compound used.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
#121556 01/25/06 06:19 AM
K
Cool Photos ! I've often wondered what that would look like when it fails. Ali cable in a copper lug. Who'd do that ?

Link Copied to Clipboard