ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
What is the experience (good or bad)of residential contractors when using the WAGO type (push/clutch)electrical connector in place of conventional wire nuts?

Tom Offline
Chris,

I didn't think much of them when my wholesaler stocked them. Evidently, no one else around here did either, they dropped them within year.

Based on what I've seen, I don't think much of any push-in connection that carries more than a fraction of an amp. It is hard to beat a properly installed wire nut without going to the expense of crimp connectors & they have their own drawbacks.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Fond Du Lac, WI still wants you to solder and tape!

We split-bolted all 277/480V circuits in Sheboygan at the factory that I worked. Wirenuts (Ideal brand) only on 120/208 (or 120/240V) circuits. I still use that rule of thumb.

I put these WAGO Wallnut things in the same category as back-plugging recepts and switches. Kinda wonder what they were passing around the day those thing passed UL... Service calls about canister lights not working and Wallnuts have been the culprit.

Loose connections cause fires...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-07-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
J
I use the 'spring/push-in' connectors where I have to deal with a box that has insufficient free wire in it; they take up less wire than a wire nut. I also choose a connector that will have one unused slot, for the next guy...(I just wish the LAST guy had followed code and left me some wire to work with!)

S
Pressure connectors never hold up. All of us have had the experience of troubleshooting to the end result of one, despite the NRTL's findings WE know what works and what does not.

Ask the dude with the toolbelt i say!

[Linked Image]

I use them for fluor ballast replacements, and never had any callbacks due to them (Like Tom says, a fraction of an amp on the #18) As far as #12s and the like forget it, you couldn't get me to use the pieces of junk.

S
electure is right, i must also confess to such use on strip lighting....

[Linked Image]

M
I like the WAGO connectors, but not the stab in connections on devices. Wago uses a seperate pressure plate and contact plate, the pressure plate made from spring steel for high pressures, and a tinned copper current plate. Stab in devices usually use a brass leaf to put pressure on the wire... not enough pressure to make me comfortable.

I design and build custom motor control centers and now use Wago terminals exclusively. I have cabinets on moving machinery that had screw connectors (Weidmuller) that backed themselves out and created arcing and failure of the connection. I traded them out for Wago on recommendations from others (used to use Phoenix Contact) and haven't needed to visit the cabinets since except to replace the cooling fan filters. This sold me on Wago, plus they're faster to use.

If you're OK with this style connector then try Wago lighting fixture connectors #224-101... I think they're right up there with sliced bread

(Starting to sound like a Wago salesman, huh...)

Mike Wescoatt

Link Copied to Clipboard