ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 468 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Der-
I agree that the odds of failure (IMO) would have to be designed to be impossibly low. However, the 175psi you quote seems low. My building has the siamese needing at least 176psi for top-floor demand (to check, I found a pressure guage in a stairwell reading 176psi at standby). Were you saying at least 175, or ... ? Just needing clarification, thanks.

J
Hello Der & welcome to the forum!

You're a sprinkler designer and I'm not so the only counter I have to your statements would have to be:

103rd Bus, Howard Rail, and West Shops.

Our house electrician saw a shadow on the wall where the sprinkler in the dry zone was leaking. I observed it after repairs were not quite complete.

2, 10 inch check valves failed by crusting up inside. This caused leakage back through the electric and diesel fire pumps that they followed. This caused short cycling and ultimate failure of the jockey pump. This caused running of the electric pump with high pressure bursts of water dumping into city drains. The city of Evanston would dispute your claim that system operation would not be adversely effected.

I wasn't there for the load bank incident but I have no reason to doubt my fellow engineer who was.

Now I admit that I'm not a big fluidics guy. I've personally observed hammer effects in diesel fueling and fire protection systems that I can't quite make sense of. I try to equate it with resonance but that only gets me so far.
Joe

D
Hello gentlemen. Yes, I am a fire sprinkler system designer by trade. To give you a little background, I have been working in the industry for five years, and I have a NICET III in sprinkler system layout, and a level II in special hazards systems.

I dabble in some low voltage work for special hazards systems, like Sapphire, FM-200, and other clean agent systems. Its all A&D work, though. My only involvement with high voltage systems would be electric fire pumps, and even then, most of that is handled by a note on the print saying "all electrical connections by others." But, I enjoy reading EC&M magazine, and try to learn a little bit when I can. Sometimes I wish the NEC was laid out like NFPA 72 and 13, because the article layout is sometimes hard for me to follow.

Anyway, moving on to your questions and responses...

DB, a "load bank" is nothing more than the biggest toaster you'll ever see. Lots of elements, getting red-hot. It is quite possible for an area near a load bank to get too hot.
Of course, if it does.... well, that's what the sprinkler heads are for. There are heads made with temperature ratings as high as 195 degrees.
renosteinke:
Ok. I didn't know what a load bank was, but I had a hard time believing that it could to that high a temperature if there are people working around it, and moving it. But hey, if you say it gets that hot, then I will take your word for it.

As for sprinkler head temperatures, they actually go a lot higher than 195 deg F. Standard temp is 155 deg F, but you can get certain sprinkler heads for very high temp applications up to 650 deg F. They aren't very common, though.

Der-
I agree that the odds of failure (IMO) would have to be designed to be impossibly low. However, the 175psi you quote seems low. My building has the siamese needing at least 176psi for top-floor demand (to check, I found a pressure guage in a stairwell reading 176psi at standby). Were you saying at least 175, or ... ? Just needing clarification, thanks.
trobb:
The 175 psi is the normal max pressure on system components. If a system doesn't have a fire pump, you normally aren't going to see anything this high for a system working pressure. The nature of the wet system clapper means that it opens up under water surges. This extra pressure gets trapped in the system when the clapper closes, and that is why you will sometimes see a higher pressure on the system side of the check valve.

176 PSI isn't that unusual, especially on a standpipe system where you have very few places for pressure to leak back, and I'm sure you know that there is always some percentage of error inherent in gauges. 176 PSI on the gauge is probably more like 173-177 in reality. Now if it was 275, yeah, I might be concerned.

As for the pressure requirements for the standpipe at the FDC... I'm not really sure what you're trying to tell me here. Its probably a terminology issue, though. What kind of building is it? How tall is it? What size fire pump does it have? Your insurance company may have required a higher working pressure at the standpipe outlet than required by NFPA 13 (100 psi). If the system is supplied by a fire pump, and it is an automatic wet standpipe, it shouldn't need anything from the fire department to meet that 100 psi requirement. Now, keep in mind that that is 100 psi at 250gpm flowing. Water pressure degrades with flow, so your 176 static may go down to 100 at the flow required for the standpipe flow, and that depends on your water supply.

Our house electrician saw a shadow on the wall where the sprinkler in the dry zone was leaking. I observed it after repairs were not quite complete.
JoeTestingEngr:
How does a leaking sprinkler head create a shadow on the wall? Was the sprinkler subject to mechanical damage at all? How old was the system? There are a lot of variables. Was this in a very cold area? Was it a dry head on a wet system? There is too much info missing for me to say what happened, obviously. And of course, I'm not going to claim that no sprinkler has ever leaked, that would be foolhardy, and not true. Its rare, though. I'm more mystified about the shadow thing!

10 inch check valves failed by crusting up inside. This caused leakage back through the electric and diesel fire pumps that they followed. This caused short cycling and ultimate failure of the jockey pump. This caused running of the electric pump with high pressure bursts of water dumping into city drains. The city of Evanston would dispute your claim that system operation would not be adversely effected.
Was regular maintanence performed on those check valves? If so, that much crust in a years time speaks highly of Evanston's water supply system. Maybe a strainer would help out a bit. Was there a backflow involved with this installation as well? Also, there are normally issues with discharging PRVs into public sewers. I would love to see this fire pump installation. Also, are the pumps in series or parallel?

Wherever you go, there you are.
G
"Haha, ok. Do load banks reach over 155 degrees f?"

Easily. I saw this happen as well where a load bank was parked in a sub basement next to the generator room.

J
Der,
Suppose you put a nozzle on an air line that hadn't had its separator drained recently. If you directed it towards a nearby wall and opened it slightly, I don't think it would take long to see a deposit build up. I think that is what our garage electrician saw on the wall near the sprinkler head. I was just there fixing the XL3 system when he told me why I had a supervisory on that zone. A contractor did alot of other work before listening to him and replacing the head.

The 2 check valves probably hadn't been checked in years. The pumps are in parallel. I was there because they suspected a leak in the yard as a cause for the jockey short cycling. But when I gated off everything coming off the manifold, we were still losing pressure at the same rate. That's when the check valve became suspect. We gated off at the source to verify. They come in to run tests on both fire pumps but I'm not aware of any specific tests on the check valves or required maintenance on them.
Joe

F
A further posting about the sprinkler mis-conceptions. We service and repair sprinkler systems, but do not install or design sprinkler systems. We also install, upgrade and service chemical fire suppression systems.

The fry daddy and other cooking appliances are required to shut off the fuel source when the fire suppression system trips. The elecltrical shut-off can be a contactor or shunt trip breaker. The power shut off may be at the extension cord, or at the panel or anywhere in between. My personal preference is at the panel.

The standard sprinkler head is rated at 155° and if a glass bulb will have a red liqued in the glass bulb. Other colors denote higher temps, w/a 450° head being the highest temp. NFPA 13 calls for a head rated at 25° over ambient temperature. If you see a leak or discoloration at the sprinkler head, call a sprinkler contractor to do an inspection. Kind of like we call in an electrician if we see discoleration at an electrical fitting.

The accepted industry statistic for sprinkler head failure (leaking head) is 1 in 6,000,000.

Pipes and fittings do leak, but not normally. Pipe and fittings are usucally rated for 175PSI working pressure,and are pressure tested at 350 PSI for a certain length of time. Usually the leaks we see are in Schedule 10 pipe and grooved fittings in dry systems.

The connection the fire truck connects to are called Fire Department Connections, or FDC. The purpose is to support the sprinkler system by insuring enough pressure and volumn of water. That big truck is just a big pump, often pumping 1750 GPM or more. The standpipes are also supported by the fire department. Fire departments use there own hoses on the standpipes, not the hoses found in the building. Fire departments are very distrustful of the condition of the rack hose in the building. Even with testing, fire hoses will rupture. The rack hose in a building is an unknown item.

Douglas Hicks
General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard