ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 372 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#121206 06/24/05 10:59 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Please forgive the pic- while it shows everything clearly- it's not clear what it shows.

Imagine a house converted into apartments. Also imagine the rear porch being enclosed, and added to the living space. This pic was taken under that porch, which is now used as a 'crawl space.' (OK, maybe 'stumble and head bump space :-) )

The piece of old-style 6/3 romex, with wire nuts on it, is laying exactly as I found it. It is also connected (via 'flying splice') to a similar piece of romex that serves the stove above.

It is quite hot. It also lies right where you are likely to step on it.

It seems we ahve some "minefields" here to look out for!

Code or no code, it is unforgivable to abandon a wire in this manner, setting the stage for a major injury. Even a DIY or handyman would know better!

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#121207 06/25/05 01:59 PM
B
I had one landmine like that recently that I found when it blew up on me:

Digging around in some blow-in insulation in an attic to try and follow a conduit run. The next thing I know I'm practically knocked off my feet: A 240V 40A circuit in some greenfield had been abandoned by simply cutting it and leaving the exposed conductors lying energized underneith the insulation for me to find with my sweaty hand. [Linked Image]

Fun times.

-John

#121208 06/26/05 04:41 AM
T
I had a scary one about 20 years ago..

I was up on a lighting truss, focusing lights for an outdoor show, when I noticed that the L5-20C connector that I'm about to crawl over isn't clamped properly, and that whoever assembled it had stripped all three conductors all the way back to the cable jacket.. twisting that connector on the cable would have caused some nice fireworks.. it turned out that the other end of that cable was exactly the same..
I saw that connector, froze, and called down to the lighting designer, and told him to pull the main disco for the dimmer rack, since I'm 20' in the air, up on a grounded metal truss, at night, with dew on everything..

Another time, I was in a projection booth, and noticed that when they had removed the old amp racks, the crew had cut the SJO cable feeding the plugstrips in the old racks, but had not bothered to kill the breakers feeding them.. 3 live phases just lying there on the floor..

#121209 06/26/05 08:38 AM
P
I remember finding the cut off end of "T&E" (Romex-style) cable poking up in a flower bed once.

The fact that this cable isn't intended for direct burial pales beside the fact that when I checked it, sure enough the bare ends were still energized (and this being England, the hot was at 240V to ground!).

I have no idea what the cable once fed, but to leave an energized end poking up in the ground where kids and animals will be around is just unforgivable.

Link Copied to Clipboard