ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
(submitted via Joe Tedesco)
Would you pass this?

I didn't, I red tagged him on poor workmanship.

- JoeRossi
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cat Servant
I cannot tell from the pic if those are real shutters, or simply decorations. Do they operate?

W
Looks like a screw in each corner of the shutter to me so I doubt they operate. Not sure why its poor workmanship though? Because it goes behind a fixed shutter??

Personally,
I'd like to see that service in some sort of conduit.
I'm not sure what SE cable is like around sun-light, but even just for neatness.

S
Would this apply:

Art 230.54(C) Service Heads Above Service-Drop Attachment. Service heads and goosenecks in service-entrance cables shall be located above the point of attachment of the service-drop conductors to the building or other structure.

Exception: Where it is impracticable to locate the service head above the point of attachment, the service head location shall be permitted not further than 600 mm (24 in.) from the point of attachment.

From the photo, I can't tell if they "had to" run the point of attaachment right up against the eve of the roof.

Thanks
Steve
G
The question one of the home inspectors asked was if that drop is rubbing the aluminum facia.

Greg Fretwell
Looks like clearance for the drop from the upstairs window wouldn't be adequate if it was moved to avoid the shutter. (Art. 230-9 1999 NEC)

Also, clearance from the facia may be in violation of 230-24(a) {my extraced quote follows}:

"...The vertical clearance above the roof level shall be maintained for a distance of not less than 3 ft (914mm) in all directions from the edge of the roof. (my bold added)

I realize (before the flaming starts,) [Linked Image] that the reference in 230-24(a) is above but it also says in all directions from the edge of the roof. Another example of doublespeak in the Code, perhaps? In any event, it looks to be too close to the facia.

Reading further, Art 230-26, Point of Attachment seems to apply too.

Good call on the red tag. But I wonder what would be the best way to correct this, short of relocating the meter?

(edited to add smiley)

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 06-21-2005).]

Stupid should be painful.
mxslick,
I realize (before the flaming starts,)
There's no flaming here, mate. [Linked Image]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Cat Servant
Just a reminder here....everything before the meter is usually regulated by the PoCo's rules, and not the NEC. There are dramatic differences in what those rules are between differing utilities and areas. PoCo rules are also usually much more detailed than the NEC.

As an example, here the use of SE like this is simply not allowed; with a weatherhead like this, you would have to use a mast through the roof eave. Or, you would have three attachment points- one for each conductor.
Also in this area, the service drop is required to be within three feet of the corner of the building.
I am told that other areas have SE as the norm; recently we had another thread of some really ugly such services.

Looking at the pic again- is it possible the meter has already been moved, to move the drop away from that upper window? And- to play devils' advocate- isn't it kind of hard to touch the SE when it is protected by that fake shutter?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard