ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Here's the close up.

This is not acceptable as installed. The existing cover was used to secure the screws that attached the add on cover and "holder", I doubt that this was listed or "approved"

Remember, here in the USA we use the NEC and the definition of approved is very clear.

[Linked Image]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
R
It appears from the close up picture that there is a violation of 406.4(D).
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Does that say "NOT US APPROVED" on the blue tape?
Alan

Wood work but can't!
No, it includes the UL listing information for the cord.

Approved is defined as "acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction."

See the FPN for those who might be that person.

Thanks Don, I agree that your 406 reference is the correct citation.

R
I like it....
True story...teenagers arrive at camp...have choice of unplugging a freezer or a clock that are plugged into one outlet. Needless to say a week or two later there was a science experiment in the freezer. I like the idea of keeping something plugged in. Let's face it we don't want 30 amp discos on the walls of our homes but I also don't want my daughter's friends unplugging the freezer to play their CDs.

I'm sure it's not designed to be used at a strain relief. It's an airport; any free outlet will be occupied or unplugged by the first traveler with a dead notebook or cell battery. So...what's on the other plug.

I still like it. Anyone able to find where to buy it. I can't possibly be a homebrew. It looks to nice, lacking duct tape, etc.

RSlater,
RSmike

A "traveler with a dead notebook" was using the top of the receptacle.

Seems practical, but is it going to meet 110.2?

I see screws there that could be used to remove the clamp that holds the plug in rather easily.
Not a bad idea as far as plug retention goes, saves important equipment being inadvertantly disconnected.

T
I don't think this is a violation of 406.4(D). The stainless steel cover complies. There is no possibility of debris or other objects being allowed into the box, due to a gap between the receptacle and the cover plate.

Just because the accessory plate gives the receptacle a recessed appearance, doesn't mean that the receptacle doesn't project from it's cover plate. [Linked Image]

It looks to me as though the cord can be removed easily enough with a lift and a counter-clockwise motion. [Linked Image]

Edit to add:
Seems practical, but is it going to meet 110.2?
If it's UL listed, then the AHJ doesn't have much to stand on. Using 110.2 as a last-ditch citation is pretty flimsy, IMO.

[This message has been edited by The_Judge (edited 05-28-2005).]

R
I don't think this is a violation of 406.4(D). The stainless steel cover complies. There is no possibility of debris or other objects being allowed into the box, due to a gap between the receptacle and the cover plate.
That section has nothing to do with preventing debris into the outlet box. Its purpose is to make sure that the attachment plug can be fully inserted into the receptacle. That cover will prevent full insertion with some types of attachment plugs and can lead to a poor connecting and damage if the load is high. Look at the new (2005) Exception #2 to this section. This permits a cover over the receptacle itself with a maximum thickness of 0.04 inches. This exeception was placed into the code over strong objections from UL. Their objections were based on the fact that the attachment plug cannot be fully inserted. The extra thickness of the device in this thread appears to far exceed 0.04".
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Most AHJ's and Electricians really do understand what 110.2 states!

The fledgling code reader will learn this in time, in the meantime the concept may delight some, and if the product is listed that's just fine!

I would put the burden of proof of the installer.

110.2 Approval. The conductors and equipment required or permitted by this Code shall be acceptable only if approved.

FPN: See 90.7, Examination of Equipment for Safety, and 110.3, Examination, Identification, Installation, and Use of
Equipment.

See definitions of Approved, Identified, Labeled, and Listed.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard