This was in a horse barn in Westford MA. There are about 90 horses here. A barn hand extinguished the fire caused by the dripping plastic. The cause was attributed to unlicensed persons replacing lamps and ballast's as part of an "energy efficient" replacement. No horses were harmed and no damage done. (other than the fixture)
They jammed the lamps into the plunger end with such force as to cause the socket to leave the 90 degree plane so when the lamp was released into the static end that left improper contact (less than 90-degrees) with the plunger end causing arcing/heat and eventually... well the photo shows the result.