ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#120822 05/10/05 11:01 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Question:

Is there a health hazard associated with these lenses that has been the graveyard for all of these mosquitoes? What if the electrician had to replace the lamps?

Joe Tedesco
[Linked Image]

H
I've seen much worse than THAT before, luckily i wasn;t the one that had to change the bulb in it...

Cliff
P
Do you think the potential hazard could depend upon which region this is in?

In the relatively cool climate of the U.K., for example, it may be unpleasant to have to work with this, but the bugs are probably not that great a threat to health. In hotter regions where they carry more varied bacteria, it may be a different story.

R
I once had to replace half a dozen 277V flourescent lights on the bottom of a mezzanine. The problem was that the top floor was where all the bathrooms were. (Some would say a "crappy" idea.)

We were renovating the whole building which had been abandoned for a decade. The plumbing had leaked sewage into the service space in the concrete floor under the bathrooms which then drained through the conduit into the lighting fixtures.

I put on enough gear to go through NBC/CBR training all over again. The lights were replaced, the plumbing fixed and the cinder blocks were all drilled at ground level to drain the sewage out of there. We then had professionals come in and slap an ozone tent on it to kill whatever was left.

That was the beginning of what became the most terrifying 6 months in my electrical career.

Robert

There's clearly a great health hazard if you're a mosquito [Linked Image]

This looks like a High-Pressure Sodium fixture to me. If so, I'd think the heat from the lamp and ballast would cook any "bugs" out of the bugs. They get very hot.

Rad: Yuck! [Linked Image]

D
Now there's a new twist on a "bug light".

Does the code cover "bonding" of those bugs anywhere?

Dnk.....

I
110.3(C) Luminaires (fixtures) and Insects. Insects shall not occupy any luminaire (fixture).

Exception Insects that are clean may occupy fixtures. Insects shall relieve themselves outside the Luminaire (fixture)

[Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
C
They look dry, so probably not much of a health hazard. It gets truly disgusting when the diffuser is also full of water, and you have 'warm bug soup'. I think *that* would be a health hazard. (It's always the fixtures you have to open from the top of a ladder too)

E
e57 Offline
If they were live bees or hornets... Not with a ten foot stick!

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

Link Copied to Clipboard