ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 211 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
pauluk Offline OP
George,

I didn't mean to imply that I dislike seeing any taps direct from the battery. So long as they're done properly there's no problem, and some good reasons for wiring certain equipment direct.

What I meant to say was that I don't like seeing lash-up wiring such as this with no fusing. That brown wire run up the door trim was very poorly installed, and it would have taken only a little wear and tear for it to have shorted out to the door frame.

all my taps are fused, AND the grounds,
To guard against the possibility of a bad ground elsewhere resulting in high currents finding their way back to chassis via the radio?

60 hz??? Didn't think you guys did 60 hz. <https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/confused.gif>
Nope, we don't. [Linked Image]

The black label is the original American one which says "This connection is for 120V 60Hz supply" or something similar. The 240V label has just been stuck over the top of it.

According to the ID plates and the British registration, it was only about 8 months old when it left America. Could be that somebody bought it new (possibly in Pa. -- it has "Keystone State" mudflaps), traveled around in America for a while, then shipped it over here. Over a certain age/mileage (I think it's something like 6 months and 3000 miles) it's then classed as a used vehicle and wouldn't have been hit for so much import tax.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 05-10-2005).]

S
Paul from the look of the fuse box and brake release your rv shares a lot of components with the Chevy Blazer.

For us gearheads, what engine and tranny are fitted and what is it based on. As you know i have 2 ex military Blazers (M1009 cucv's), an 84 which is my everyday workhorse, car, family taxi etc and an 82 which is my project vehicle. Both have the n/a 6.2 diesels, the 84 is J spec with the TH400 tranny and the 82 is the C spec with the TH350 tranny. If there are any experts here I would like to know why the 82 is totally different from every other cucv.

OK I'm well off topic here so i'll shut up [Linked Image]

Simon

N
GM 6.2 L Diesel = Boat Anchor. [Linked Image]

P
pauluk Offline OP
Simon,

The base vehicle is a 30-series van with short wheelbase (125"). The camper is a pretty small one, only about 18' 6" total length. I'll post a general picture for you later.

Engine is the 350 cu. in. V8, and transmission is the Turbo Hydra-Matic 400.

Paul,
Are you playing with your new toy, (the Coachman Camper), now the days are getting longer? You should get in more!
Alan

Wood work but can't!
P
pauluk Offline OP
Yes, now the weather's getting better I've been outside a few evenings trying to take care of some of the odd jobs.

I just fitted a new 240V inlet this evening to replace the hashed-up one pictured above:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Although the original QO load center is grounded via the 240V hookup and the transformer wiring, while I was doing this I also added a direct bonding wire from the inlet earth terminal straight to the original American panel as an extra safeguard (and of course, the ground bar in that panel already has the original bonds to chassis).

I haven't decided what to do about that auto-transformer yet.

My electrical inspector decided to check out the new work to see if it met with his exacting standards: [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Satisfied that all was well, he then returned to daydreaming and watching the world go by! [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 05-24-2005).]

P
pauluk Offline OP
I took this picture a few nights ago then forget all about posting it. Just to give you an idea of the vehicle in question: [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard