ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#120661 04/28/05 11:58 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Would a receptacle be required for this space? It is about 24" left to right and 14" deep. Not standard counter depth but NEC makes no reference to depth only to width. (12 inches or wider) A good example of applying code to real situations while trying to satisfy a customer. Obviously there was no way she was going to let me cut a receptacle into that panel even though the tea set is probably more hideous!

-electricmanscott
[Linked Image]

S
What's directly above the tea set? It looks like a receptacle, or is it a switch?

steve

[This message has been edited by stamcon (edited 04-29-2005).]

Steve
B
It looks like there is plenty of room for a lamp or appliance to likely be used on that counter. Cabinets with doors on both sides would pose a real hazard to any cord passing in front of them. I'd say there is a real need for a recepticle at that location. It looks like you opted for one in the bottom of the top cabinet. Nice blend of asthetics and necessity.

Cat Servant
Again, the language of the code does not reflect reality....I might call thei a "nook" or a "shelf," or an "open face cabinet."
If you wanted to add a receptacle, then perhaps from above?

I think that the code has gone a little overboard, crossed over from "safety" into "design," and needs to be fixed.

S
It looks like a shelf to me. Where is it written that a shelf can't be made out of granite?

L
Steve, it looks to me to be a slide dimmer.

A receptacle above a countertop must not be higher than 20" above the surface.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
E
It actually is a receptacle and it is 18" above the counter. So in effect it is legal. I was questioning weather or not a receptacle is even required here.

P
Where is this shelf/countertop located? kitchen?

The people who design these kitchens are paid very well and need to be more aware of the requirements, so the electrician is not stuck between a customer and the inspector.

Pierre Belarge

Link Copied to Clipboard