It is mentioned in the AMES 1891 link that this generator is not the original one. The plant had been upgraded a few times.
The current installation at Ames is the third set of alternators and generators, replaced a final time in 1906 with General Electric equipment and a new building of cut granite.
Still a facinating piece of machinery in any event....
[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 04-28-2005).]