ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
This is way cool and interesting!!

Click on this link:
www.old-engine.com/ames.htm

Highvoltageguy automated this one.
He'll help us find our way around [Linked Image]

(we didn't post individual pictures because of the copyright)

H
Actually the plant is still ran manually, I automated the main water source (Trout Lake) the penstock ruptured (6'diameter)and washed out the highway, which is cut into a very steep mountain causing a 150 mile detour. installed presure differental sensers on the penstock to auto. shut the main valve at the Lake. between the sensers being to sensistive and mounted on wrong place on the pipe, and using line of sight antena's instead of a phone line, project took a little over a year and half to get all the bugs worked out.
But this plant still runs when needed (peaking load), it would run all the time but residents in the area with multimillion $$$ homes complain that they dont want any water in the penstock in case it rupture's again. if it did break there would be some spillage of course (big slow closing valve)and about 5 miles of penstock.

T
Reminds me of the tour I got of Hoover Dam. Those old generators were built to last!
Thanks for the pictures.

M
HVguy: Thanks for the pictures, and for the links to the other generating sites. I must admit that I was surprised to see the more modern-looking control panels. I guess I was expecting to see the old marble slabs and knife switches! [Linked Image]

Kinda neat to see a piece of equipment cranking out electricity at 225 RPM!

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 04-26-2005).]

M
awesome
Nikolai was probably ther once

P
Looking at these sort of pictures of old generating plant, I often find myself in awe, not just at the sheer quantities of power involved, but also in the design and building work that went into these early generating plants.

B
The site mentions that there have been upgrades over the years. Since it is still a useful part of the power grid, I'd guess the modern control panels are part of one of those upgrades. I'm sure all the yellow guarding we see was not there when the plant opened either.

S
If this is supposed to be the world's first AC generating plant, why is the serial number on the generator 117822???

SolarPowered:

It is mentioned in the AMES 1891 link that this generator is not the original one. The plant had been upgraded a few times.

edit:
The current installation at Ames is the third set of alternators and generators, replaced a final time in 1906 with General Electric equipment and a new building of cut granite.

Still a facinating piece of machinery in any event....

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 04-28-2005).]

Stupid should be painful.
S
That explains it! Thanks!

As you say, it is in any case a fascinating piece of history.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard