ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#120468 04/11/05 11:02 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
NEC 314.16(C)(2) allows for splices and connections to be made in a conduit body.

An apartment complex, desiring some parking lot lights, used 2" SLB's as a means for mounting the lights. This was done by drilling and attaching the fixtures to the sides of the bodies.
Of course, LB's have two openings...see how the extra opening has been covered with tape?

FWIW, there exists an "E" body, which has only one opening- though getting one this large is a problem. Or, perhaps a "tee" body could have been used, with reducers.

renosteinke
[Linked Image]

F
the other thing it do get my attetion with quatz halogen lights the T-3 or T-4 bulbs are not designed as to run off axis of horzontail due the heat build up and it will cause early bulb failure there.

I did see it many time when some handyman do this set up and burn up the halogen bulb rather very fast [Linked Image]

and the other thing with this size of fixure it is commmon to overwattage it espcally if fixure is rated for 300 watt and it is common i did see some people jammed 500 watt halogen bulb and do wonderful damge from overheating

Merci, Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

R
You would think that someone who spent that much time chopping this thing together would have sprung a couple of extra bucks for an actual plug for the LB.

I also thought it was against code to use fittings for uses other their intended purpose. Or is that the warning on spray cans? I haven't had any coffee yet.

Robert

Cat Servant
Rad...that's an interesting point....some would also object to the use of 2" RMC as the light pole, for the same reason.
I don't know how far you can go with that logic...looking at various standards, they are a lot less specific for something like an LB (for which the final use is unknown) than they are for, say, a mig welder.

FrenchE, I didn't know that...one of the problems with this installation is that the conduit nuts don't do a very good job of securing the light in the direction they want to point it.

Link Copied to Clipboard