ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#119978 02/16/05 12:34 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Not being used to rain in the desert, when we do get any here people tend to just haul out the pump and the extension cord and set up the old electric chair.

- codeenforcementguy
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
I Liked the old Linclon Mk 3 in the back ground, I didnt know they made them in a convertable top

I sure hope there are no joins in that flex. [Linked Image]
I suppose the chair prevents people from running the pump over.
Then the fun would start!.

G
I love the cactus in the background, and the mother-in-laws tongue. Those are definitely indoor plants here!

What stops them running over the cable?

Gideon.

Aren't there some grading and drainage ordinances in place to prevent ponds like this?

M
Trumpy if you are thinking the gray line is incoming electric flex it is actually the discharge hose. Where I am in Canada the ones in the stores are ribbed like that but in black plastic.

I can see an orange extension cord tied to the chair on the left side in the second picture The two black cords (one from the pump motor and the other from the off/on float)coming up connect to the orange cord on the chair seat. The float is tied up on the top of the pump so it will run continually which is probably not good for it.

One of my neighbors did something similar one weekend last spring using a roofers pump when our back lane catch basin frozeup over night. At least he had his plugged into a GFI in his garage and orange cones around it and the cord. He had the extention cord taped to the top of the cones to keep everything out of the water.

M
electure you were asking about ordanances to keep this from happening.

Don't know about down where this was taken but here in Winnipeg, the public work department over the last few years has been putting in flow restrictors in all the parking lot and residental street catch basins.

The idea is to pond water on the pavement to prevent basement flooding when there is a heavy rain storm or major watermain break.

Cat Servant
Sure, it may look funny, but the only dange here is the guy burning up his pump motor....submersible pumps rely upon surrounding water to keep cool!
The lawn chair is a nice touch...not only does it give you a place to set the float, it also lets you keep your cord connection out of the water. Even with a GFI, that's good practice.

This practice is not totally limited to the desert [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It does rain in Southern California.
This one is not on a GFI, however.

Link Copied to Clipboard