ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#119806 01/27/05 07:39 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
(submitted via Joe Tedesco)
Joe, I have an electrical contractor that is using channel for bracing flag poled service risers.  He is cutting the channel on both sides so he can get a bend to meet his needs.  I'm not comfortable with the cutting and bending as I think the strength of the channel is in the design with the sides intact.  Can you run this through for comment by the contractor's network and/or give me any code reference that may apply to this type of installation?

- codeenforcementguy
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
That's unbelievable.

The whole idea of the channel is with the three sides intact.

Notching and bending like that will significantly reduce the strength of the strut.

If he wants to do that, use the angle adapters that the various strut mfgs all make... at least they're strength rated.

B

The minerallacs are equally sleazy.

N
That looks lovely [Linked Image] Inspectors in my area will fail installations if they are not done in a workmanlike manner (NEC 110.12). Is that a permanent installation?

Cat Servant
I've installed a number of "mast kits," and I am not really impressed with the design of the factory made solution.
I don't think the NEC discusses this issue, so i took a look at our local utility's specs:

"Periscope structures projecting over 30" above the roof must be braced....Bracing, when required, shall consist of two galvanised steel members installed at approximately 90 degree spread. Minimum size brace shall be 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 x 1/8" galvanised steel angle. Periscope bracing shall be anchored through the sub-roof with minimum 3/8" galvanised carraige bolts."
The accompanying artwork also specifies the bracing to be attached 10" below the weatherhead.

Ironically, the "mast kits" that I've been using rely upon 3/4 RMC for bracing members, and anchor to the roof with lag bolts (that might be 3/8").

Off the cuff, I would guess that this man's solution is as strong as the commercially prepared kit. It is certainly securely anchored to the mast with those multiple mineralacs. It is also quite a bit more expensive than the commercial arrangement I've been using.

R
Amazing, Kendorf, B-line, Super Strut, and the others, all make just about any configuration or ajustable angle fitting that would do this job correctly. [Linked Image]

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 01-27-2005).]

E
e57 Offline
Creates a "Metal Fatique" point on the strut, a few years in a gental breeze and its gone.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Anybody that's cut strut with a hacksaw has probably bent the last bit back and forth a few times to break it. This guy's just letting nature do the bending.

Think about it, though. The PoCo uses a piece of small diameter cable to brace their pole, and deems that sufficient.

So, what does it really take?

P
I have seen worse, at least he made the effort to support the mast. Not that I would pass this though [Linked Image], as Roger has mentioned, the proper fittings are readily available.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
W
why wouldn't you just fold the sides of the channel(strut) in some and then just bend it?? Although less than perfect and easily could have been better and stronger I doubt that would ever break

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard