I was called to a house last week that had a wierd kind of twist to it.
The lady of the house complained that some things in the house were working and other things weren't.
I checked the switch-board (Panel) and opened it up, all new wiring in there.
She then mentioned they had the house rewired about 2 years ago.
I then removed a socket in the kitchen to check for voltage and found old brittle, dry Tough-Rubber-Sheathed wire.
I switched off the Mains and took off a light fitting, same thing, rubber!.
I got up in the roof with a torch and this was the first thing in there that I saw:
There were actually 2 of these boxes up there, with new Tough Plastic Sheathed cables going in to the boxes and Rubber leaving them.
The TPS cables came from the switch-board and went no further than them junctions.
Cheap-skate sparkies had done a quick re-wire alright!.
I told the lady what I had seen and she rang the Electrician back, she wasn't too impressed!.