ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Though it's not in the NEC, I apply 100% silicone caulk liberally on the threads and joints on exterior services. It's flexible and made to repel water. I also make sure there are small drain holes in the meter socket (usually provided in manufacture).

Dave

E
e57 Offline
Had to go out to the truck to check, yep factory (Un-tapered)running thread, So why is it that feild threads are tapered? Hmmm...
344.28 Reaming and Threading.
All cut ends shall be reamed or otherwise finished to remove rough edges. Where conduit is threaded in the field, a standard cutting die with a 1 in 16 taper (3/4-in. taper per foot) shall be used.
And, I beleive this to mean running threads past the normal range to allow connection without an Ericson type 3-piece coupling?
344.42(B) Running Threads. Running threads shall not be used on conduit for connection at couplings.

Dave55, not sure if silicone chalk is not a reduction in conductivity. Noalox, and Penetrox are at least listed for Aluminum conduit, and the zink in them isn't reactive on steel. Often HD Corrosion-X or thread cutting oil used to cut the threads is enough to keep most water out.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 09-12-2004).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
D
I think if there were double anchors above that transition, he'd have an argument for strength of the mast. I can kinda understand the connector - his mindset is probably that the non "tight" end is downward facing, and thus not subject to rundown H2O.

If I were him, I would have used the full length piece of IMC from the box to the coupling, and then joined the short length to the full sized one with a threaded coupling. I would have put the cut end up, and clamped the weather head to the cut end. Uniform joining of pipe, Code compliant, and no blatant "WTF?" coupling in the middle of the run.

E
e57 Offline
Doug, I would have done it that way too.

Mark Heller
N
I would have took this installation if he had put the joint below the first strap, used a rigid coupling between the straps or guy'd the riser off. maybe not 100% code compliant but I would feel a resonable level of safety had been accomplished. I am most concerned with the strength of the riser. This is a 109' pull here. As for the straps, we call them stand off's or thru wall bolt clamps. They have a bolt that goes thru the wall and are required by the poco. This guy calls when things do not go his way, you guys know the type. This is 2 1/2" RMC or IMC.

[This message has been edited by necbuff (edited 09-12-2004).]

Kenny Wilee
A
I'm not sure what size the service is or the mast here. Around here your saposed to use 2 1/2" steel ridgid for 100a and 3" for 200 amp if it is used as a suport for the service drop. I would say it should have one more strap also. Utility requires max 4' 2" from head to first clamp using min 1/2" bolts.

Besides NEC does it meet the local utility requirments?

They could have done this with out a threader. 1 stick meter to threaded coupling. 2nd stick cut off at weather head.

I would be angery if I seen this kind of work approved.

Tom

I
It is very tough to guess or know what each areas POCO wants. Some POCOs require the top stick of pipe to be a full stick, the cut one goes at the bottom.

Personally that is also how I do it, on the few masts I have done I have not relied on a coupling to hold the drop. I have seen a few broken conduits and the break is always at the closest thread to the coupling. Of course that is just a personal preference not an NEC requirement. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
D
Right Mark.

I assemble everything wrench-tight, then apply the silicone.

Dave

E
e57 Offline
Ohhh....[thumbsup] Cool, Dave, I thought you were lubing the threads with it there.

Mark Heller
N
Got overrode... Life goes on.

Kenny Wilee
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard