ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#11830 07/24/02 09:33 PM
A
hmmm...perhaps Bill should ponder an entry exam for the ECN forum. A little theory and a little code. Might be good for all of us. What do you guys think.

#11831 07/24/02 10:05 PM
Or change the name to toilet talk.net

#11832 07/24/02 10:27 PM
R
I have thought this myself, but how could we take entry level people out of the forum?

If we segregated to what each of us know, it would become boring and uneducational to those who need to learn. (myself included)

I think I know the reason for this post and I agree.

But, here we are stuck again.

Roger

#11833 07/25/02 01:03 AM
Broom Pusher and
I can understand the resaoning and concerns behind the intent of your post - and as everyone here knows, we've dealt with some odd behavior at times - but fortunately for the most part, it has been an extremely small part of the daily activity.

We really should not limit member activity in the general discussion area. This is where "The rest of the world" can join in with us trade savy people and get a little help - maybe head them in the right direction and fix some "Previously Given Bad Advise" that may have been dealt from some quack hanging around the home center.

If a member starts posting odd stuff, simply do not reply if you feel uncomfortable, or politely reply with the common "Get A Licensed Eee-Legg-Trician" message.

Now there could be some "Prereq's" for areas like the theory forum or the tech info forum, but IMO, I think anyone that wants to post tech stuff in these areas should feel free to post at will!

I like to keep things kind of unbiased.

Once again, I understand the concerns behind this topic and do respect the intentions. We just need to use a little tact when dealing with unqualified persons asking to do things which are clearly beyond their capability.

Liability is an important issue; IMO allowing someone to perform installations which are hazardous or far beyond their capability is equally important. Might not end up in court, but someone is probably gonna get hurt!

Please pardon the extreme liberal attitude I have! This thinking is from countless years of dealing with, or observing, frustration when trying to gain information.

[personal note]I had such a difficult time trying to get certain people to share their knowledge with me that it drove me crazy! Instead I had to seek out the info elsewhere (in hind sight it probably was the best thing I ever did!). I DO NOT EVER want to put anyone through the same insanity!!! [/personal note]

Scott S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#11834 07/25/02 02:38 AM
Scott,

I think you probably missed the thread that may have precipitated this one. (I'm still not sure that it wasn't a Joke) [Linked Image]

Anyway, OK guys, Here's your test: (if you've heard this before please hold out the answer a bit so we can get some good guesses in).

There's a Light fixture in the Attic and a switch in the Basement (one of three) They are not in sight of each other. How would you, by yourself determine which of 3 swithches in the Basement is for the light (test equip not needed) and only go up to the Attic once to confirm?

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
#11835 07/25/02 07:21 AM
H
I'd have to say that if you required a test in order to post to this board then I would be in deep doo doo. I'm sure no one would be upset about that but I have to say, since I found this place you all have given me a lot of great information and advice and I am not a licensed electrician.

I pretty much run our business however because the two licensed electricians who are my partners couldn't do it without me. I'm not arrogant about it just honestly stating the fact. In fact they are licensed because I got them licensed. Neither one of them are busniess savvy or computer skilled. Its a symbiotic relationship you see.

Now if I might take a stab at Bill's test question (my answer is wrong but there's a way to do everything right?):
I would get one of those sockets that has a receptacle in it...screw it into the fixture. Plug a radio into the fixture and turn it up real loud. Then go to the basement and flip the switches until the radio came on. There - see? I wouldn't even have to go to the attic to confirm...

I might be ablke to figure out the actual answer if I had time - but I gotta run - we got a kitchen remodel job from the "Remodeling Monster" company. Gotta go show 'em our stuff.

Have a great day everyone...

#11836 07/25/02 08:47 AM
N
I understand the liability issue, but it is good to have a more serious forum (not one with 50 'how do I install a ceiling fan' posts) where people not in the industry (like me) can come with questions or just lurk and learn.

As for the light switch problem, leave one switch off. Turn the second one on for a minute or two and then back off. Turn the third one on and run up to the attic. If the light is on, it's switch 3. If it is off and cold, it's 1. Otherwise it is 2.

And yes, the radio would be easier :-)

#11837 07/25/02 11:53 AM
Happi,

Although your answer might work, the items mentioned (Socket-Recp and Radio) might fall under "test equip" and were not mentioned as being there anyway. So, sorry ... [Linked Image]

nlist,

Ding Ding!
You had the response I was looking for.

On a more serious note, it is hard to put into words what my vision is of how this place should be. But you are right in thinking that 50 ceiling fan Questions would be out of place. I don't think that the term 'serious forum' would apply to what goes on sometimes around here [Linked Image]. How about a collection of people that are serious about learning and sharing and are mindful of the hazards involved?

Bill

Bill
#11838 07/26/02 03:43 PM
P
I see the idea behind an entry test as well, but I think it would be very hard to implement while remaining fair to all concerned.

If entry is restricted too much, it might not allow in those just entering the field as apprentices, students, or whatever and who I'm sure could benefit from the accumulated experience here. (I could certainly count myself as a "student of American wiring practices", for I have learned much about your methods in my time on ECN).

I don't see that this is a big problem on ECN, and I think the existing arrangements work fine in most cases. Just exercise some caution when it becomes clear that the person asking the question obviously has little technical knowledge.

There's also the point that setting an entry test might make some people see the forum as being something of a closed society, or "clique", rather than an open discussion.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 07-26-2002).]

#11839 07/26/02 04:13 PM
I made this suggestion in the liability thread, but it applies much better here...

Bill, just brainstorming here, but would requiring some sort of credentials in the profile help any, even if it just said "home-owner", "student", "contractor" or
"electrician", it would help us know who we're dealing with and on what level.

Having a better idea of the education background of the one posting the question may help us in determining at what level our answers need to be, or if at all.

Just an idea, not necessarily a good one...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI

Link Copied to Clipboard