ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#11822 07/24/02 11:21 AM
S
SJT Offline OP
On an above ground pool, is the bare #8 that we use supposed to be connected to the equipment ground that is ran out to the pool? The code states that it is not the intent of the code that the bond wire be attached to to any remote panel board, service equipment, or any electrode. Normally what I would do is run the bare #8 to pick up every other upright on a typical 4' high pool, and attach it to the green #12 conductor that is ran to the filter receptacle.
Any problems?
Thanks SJT

SJT,

Apparently the main concern is that everything in and around the pool be at the same potential. Connecting to the EGC is optional I am told, but you must connect to any associated equipment out there (pump, heater, etc)

Bill

Bill
E
No need to attach to the circuit ground. Connecting to the motor bonding lug actually accomplishes this indirectly. You seem to have it figured out for the pool just run the bond to the motor lug.

Broom Pusher and
FYI - The part in the NEC which mentions no intention for the # 8 to be run to a panel board is simply stating that the bonding conductor does not have to run from a panel, then do all the bonding in an uncut run, just so it's not confused with similar bonding issues.

In other words, the #8 bond does not have to originate from any given panel board, nor is it required to be a dedicated or unspliced run from a panel board to the bonded items.

This [I believe] is to address two separate grounding issues around pools:
1: The EGC for a Pool Light is run uncut from the panel board to the fixture,
2: The bonding of stuff near the pool and the REBAR for the pool is creating an Equipotential Plane, where everything is driven to the same Potential to lower the chance of personnel getting barbequed from either a pump motor winding ground fault, or for the dare devil clowns who float 120 VAC television sets in the pool [reference to Joe's Dishwashing Detergent Bottle / Floating TV set receptacle photo - an ECN classic!].

I don't know if this helps at all.

Scott S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
F
Just a thought. If said above ground pool is storable as defined in Article 680, no bonding is required. Storable Pools: NEC 680.30

Link Copied to Clipboard