ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by a_gunslinger - 04/21/24 12:21 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (a_gunslinger), 32 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 3,682
Likes: 3
Admin Offline OP
Pictures are from a house undergoing kitchen renovation. I am adding seven circuits. Panel is full, not to mention other obvious problems. Inspector says come out of panel to feed sub panel or upgrade everything. This would mean move panel or laundry, relocate meter and drop. Could be a pricey service change. Power company will charge $500.00 to move the drop.

- Electricmanscott
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 7,520
There sure seem to be a lot of cables arriving at that house. What are all the extras: Telephone, cable TV, and ????

Any idea what that disconnect between the service and water faucet feeds?

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 391

Judging by the location and the fact that none of the conduit is strapped, that's probably the disconnect that the HVAC guys installed for that air-conditioner condenser.


Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,391
The HVAC guys are not allowed to install disconnects here where Scott and I live.

That was probably installed by an electrician, if they pulled a permit would be hard to guess. [Linked Image]

Scott what are you going to do?

Or what can the homeowner afford to do?

Paul you got it, looks like multiple single pair phone wires and a cable TV.

If you add a line the telephone company will not replace the single pair drop with a multi pair drop. They just keep adding more single pair drops. It is not unusual to see multi family houses with quite a few phone drops.


Once in a while you will see a 10 or 25 pair run over, but not often. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 06-11-2004).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 11
Junior Member
Is this panel twinned out?Would thins be an option?How about an 8 circiut 70A sub?I guess it would depend on what your feeding.Small or large appliances.

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,143

If you're talking about the small gray box just above the pipe going into the house in pic 2, it's a phone co. POP (Point Of Purchase) transition box - the phone utility equivalent of the "service connection" point at which they turn over responsibility to the occupant.

The larger white box to the left looks like cable.

BTW, that's a gas meter & associated piping, not an H2O feed [Linked Image]

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 7,520
I see the gray box you're referring to. Is that just a demarcation point or does it contain a protector as well?

I realized the meter in view at lower left was gas. But that is a water faucet on the extreme right, only just in the picture, isn't it?

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,143
Good eyes, Paul! [humble bow]

The phone POP box has a protection means in it (IIRC), and has 2 covers. The owner/occupant can open one side, the telco the other.

Inside are two RJ11 (4 conductor) phone plug jumpers that can be removed to perform line troubleshooting, as well as screw terminals that the inside-the-house feed line connects to. This design also allows a POP to serve as a junction point for several lines (up to four) for each building / residence.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,457
The verdict is in! No service change. Add sub from existing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5