ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#117140 05/24/04 03:40 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
A landlord called us stating some sporadic power outages were happening... Upon arrival the tenant informed me that her 10 year old daughter had received a really nasty shock from the loose outlet... She also informed me that she had an attorney & was going after the landlord for this among other things... She also informed me that a permit was never pulled when this house was turned into a duplex! Needless to say I didn't touch a thing here except to turn off the circuit going to the daughters bedroom & advised them to contact the housing authority regarding this mess! I informed the landlord I was unable to make any repairs & advised him to contact his tenant for further information...

-Randy
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#117141 05/24/04 03:57 PM
B
You got more guts than I; I wouldn't even touch that FPE panelboard. I'd be too worried that if I took off the cover, all the breakers would come out with it.... [Linked Image]

Is that AC/MC feeding those spot lights in the first picture...?

As an aside, the tenant may not be an electrician, and it may not even be their responsibility to make any repairs at all, but it sure wouldn't be hard to buy and mount some 50ยข cover-plates to help safe-guard her kid.

-John

#117142 05/24/04 07:56 PM
Big John...
I was verrrrrrry careful taking that dead front off... The tenant told me that another tenant had been "screwing around" in there, which is the only reason I wanted to take a peek...

I wish I had a zoom on my digicam.. Thats romex feeding the spot lights...

Aside from the missing faceplates, the outlet below the mirror is the one her daughter got "lit up" off of.. she told be it's just been hanging like that since she moved in! [Linked Image] & the landlord has done nothing about it.. She also unplugged her daughter hairdryer from it & the whole thing came out of the box! Even worse, it's "push & pray" connected! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] I hope this landlord gets everything coming to him for leaving things like this!!! [Linked Image]
I don't know if its different anyplace else, but here, when you rent, the landlord is responsible for all repairs.. If a tenant breaks something, he can back-charge them for the costs...

-Randy

#117143 06/05/04 12:37 PM
Update...
This place has been red-tagged.. (suprise, yeah I know! [Linked Image] ) The landlord is now trying to sue the tenant that brought all this up for leaving the place during a lease.. This guy is a moron! If its red tagged, No one can live there! LMAO!

-Randy

[This message has been edited by Lostazhell (edited 06-05-2004).]

Link Copied to Clipboard