ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Here's a clip from a Texaco station surveillance camera... Needless to say, people need to be more aware of "grounding" in more than one way...

-Randy
gasfireclip02-13-04

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 05-22-2004).]

R
Is there anyway that I can save this clip? Right clicking the link or right clicking the image doesn't give me the option.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
R
Note that this appears to be a static charge from her clothes sliding across the seat or her hair brushing against her sweater. There is no grounding or bonding that could be installed to prevent this type of static discharge, short of using a bonding strap to the person, like the wrist straps used for working on sensitive electronic equipment.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
D
Could you make a "Static Dissapative" overlay for the touch pad keys on the pumps? (one of the problems with the "ultra modern" plastic shrouded pump assemblies - no metal to inadvertantly ground to)

Possibly an intentional "static point" (think lightning rod, but like a small metal button) that would be farther down on the grip of the handle, away from the metal nozzle itself (and thus out of the "explosive range" area), with a GC following the hose to the pump, that would provide a discharge point other that the nozzle or fill tube?

R
Doug,
All of the listed dispenser hose have a metallic grounding element as part of the hose and it is bonded at both ends.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
W
I can assure you that pump manufactures take grounding to heart. Any metal parts that are surronded by plastic( a card reader for example) are connected back to the frame.
Hoses do have a wire in them for that reason but they can and do break. Some fire depts. make stations check to see that it is whole.
Static from newer vehicles seems to be a real problem. In the winter I get a staic shock from my 2003 GMC every time I get out of it. I believe if you read the warning label posted at all Mobil stations it instructs you to touch the pump before grabbing the nozzle. It also instructs you to leave nozzle in the car in case of fire.

R
I believe if you read the warning label posted at all Mobil stations it instructs you to touch the pump before grabbing the nozzle.
Do you really expect the general public to read and follow instructions?
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
C
CRM Offline
The diesel pumps in my area have a grounding clamp you are required to clamp onto the metal of your vehicle, but I could never figure out why the gasoline pumps don't have this. You can't make sure the customer actually uses this clamp, but its in their best interest to do so.

W
I've been working in and around gasoline equipment since 1977,

Do you really expect the general public to read and follow instructions?

I expect it but I'm always disappointed [Linked Image]

Our local ARCO, Chevron, Mobil & Union 76 stations all have warnings to turn off cell phones & pagers while fueling.. I see people daily yaking with a phone in one hand & the gas nozzle in the other...

BTW.. When I spoke of grounding when I sent the pic in, I meant as far as a person "grounding" themselves to dissipate static charges.. I "hope" the pump grounding would be proper! A "grounding point" like Doug speaks of here would be ideal away from the nozzle & where fuel vapors would be concentrated.. Now if we could get people to use them! [Linked Image]

-Randy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard