ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#116422 04/01/04 09:03 PM
Attached are actual pictures of wiring that was done by a 15 year old boy. It was obviously done without a permit, but most of it looks much better than I usually see. He had "small" violations, like no GFCI on outside circuits, and my only "BIG" complaint is the fact that he used indoor equipment outside, but he showed me where the walls are being put in next week, so that is not a big issue. By the way this is for a gezeebo 30 amp 220 volt feed (bonded inside the homeline cabinet) and then a 15 amp 110 volt feed to a "treehouse" (more like a house on stilts). Also- He used all DESPARD devices. Note the 1950s era "ROTO-GLO" despard light switches.

Warren Hudson
via Joe T.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#116423 04/01/04 09:08 PM
C
Looks like he may have a promising career as an electrician! I was doing stuff like this when I was 15. [Linked Image]

Peter
#116424 04/01/04 10:38 PM
B
When I was fifteen I think all my wiring consisted of cord-and plug connected devices I made using old extension cables. [Linked Image] That being said, I think this is pretty impressive, but I'd still want to go over it with a fine-tooth comb... If it hasn't been done, I'd suggest GFCI protecting the feeder(s) just for peace-of-mind.

-John

#116425 04/02/04 12:35 PM
B
hi all. These are my pictures sent to me by a friend. I was also wondering- has anyone ever seen these "roto-glow" switches? They were made for despard and for a standard toggle switch plate.

#116426 04/02/04 05:29 PM
S
BigJohn said:

When I was fifteen I think all my wiring consisted of cord-and plug connected devices I made using old extension cables.

Ditto here. My wiring setups were zip-cord stapled all along the baseboards with old surface mount receptacles...sometimes it was just plain old extension cords with their own molded-on connectors.

Anyone remember the old "shove plug into this receptacle, staple the cord along the wall, affix surface mount outlet a couple of yards down the wall" type things? I grew up with that kind of wiring.

I was also a big fan of the "drop cord" (dangling lampholder on a piece of cord from the ceiling). [Linked Image]

Remember when almost every house & apartment had at least ONE of these surface-mount plastic critters so you could plug in whatever?

[Linked Image from kopez.com.ph]

I'm surprised they're still manufactured! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 04-02-2004).]

#116427 04/03/04 01:33 AM
Hehehe.... This is giving me flashbacks [Linked Image]
I learned most of the electrical trade from my great cousin who was an electrical contractor.... He was just like a father to me, & still is to this day [Linked Image] when I was about 8 or 9, he started letting me raid his workvan for all the old stuff he'd taken out of different places.. showing me what does what, not just showing me how it's done, but WHY it's done that way.. (always checking everything I did before I could get anywhere near energizing!) He'd even take me on some jobs during the summer once i was a bit older... by the time I was 18, he was showing me how to assemble gear sections & bus duct.. About when I turned 21, he retired & I had to get a real job [Linked Image] I am curious if the young man learned what he knows just from books or if he actually has someone showing him the ropes? One of the first little projects my cousin & I did was similar to this, except it was an old workshed in the backyard... We piped it in sched 40 underground, MC cabled a couple gfi's & a flourescent fixture inside... I was soooo damn proud of that thing [Linked Image] Beyond looking for NEC violations, there's a 15 year old boy out there putting his idle time to positive use! [Linked Image] I see pride in workmanship, moreso than I think I've seen in 80% of the do-it-yourselfer projects I've come across.. & I hope this boy will continue his desire to learn our trade! [Linked Image]

-Randy

#116428 04/17/04 07:58 PM
Did that you fella do them overheads in the second pic?.
If he did, he made a darn good job of them!.
We've got Lineys here that could only dream of work that neat!. [Linked Image]
Randy,
there's a 15 year old boy out there putting his idle time to positive use!
Well yes, I agree there, he could be out smoking Crack and getting into trouble with the law!.
His work is very neat though. [Linked Image]

#116429 08/24/04 10:40 PM
T
When I was 15 (3 years ago) or so I wired the garden shed. I probably broke every rule in the book doing so. I didn't have any money for the job, so I basically scrounged up what I could, most of it being old since te neighbourhood I lived in was built in the teens and it wasn't uncommon for electrical work to be done there. I used a few of the vintage 1950s T-slot outlets I found in my Aunt's basement, a ceramic outlet and box pulled from an old garage, some knob and tube wiring, a few feet of twin line antenna cable, baling wire covered in electrical tape, an ancient rotary snap switch taken from a drill press, and whatever else I found in my family's basements or the trash. When I did the wiring I paid no attention whatsoever to safety or the NEC; all I cared was that the thing worked and didn't blow fuses or catch on fire.

Most of the wiring is still intact (not for long...); I can get a few pictures before I rip it out and do the wiring right.

Power has been disconnected for the most part ever since the wiring was done; I felt that the end result was somewhat unsafe and only turned the electricity on when I had business in the shed.

Regards,

Tim

#116430 08/13/05 02:18 PM
I'm about 13-14, and I already have five traffic lights wired in my house. I also repair my own extension cords and electronics (just not anything with a CRT display), and offer to help my father. Forgot to say, nice job to him and hope he takes a job as an electrician.

Ian A.

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 08-13-2005).]

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
#116431 08/13/05 07:04 PM
Ian,
Just had a mental picture of your mom waiting in the hall for the lights to change, then turning left into the kitchen!
Alan

ps. How do you keep digging up these old gems? It must take hours.

Wood work but can't!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard