ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
This service came down with a small 2" diameter branch. HO had called the utility to come and drop the power wire before starting. He figured he would get a start on the tree before they got there.

It would have held had the mast not been EMT.

This never did trip the fuse on the pole and was on when the power company came to disconnect. eek! aluminum siding, this whole house was hot. When they called , the power company was there and said "Just come out and put on a new mast. Don't think so.

Problems found. EMT for mast Splice box on line side of power company, Bad grounding system causing Myers hub to melt. Screw on hub to melt. Screws tying ground buss down to melt off. Ground wire was arcing and blowing up all the way thru one service. The other end melted off right on the bottom of the can, Screws mounting service to home were burning.

This had come down before and some lacky put it up I'm sure. The split bolts tying onto the old service entrance conductors were all loose. No ground to water pipe. The 2 #8 bare coppers disappeared into concrete highly unlikely they were attached to a ground rod. I'm betting on a piece of pipe or rebar.

The outside 1/2" conduit run all done with SS connectors

I'm sure there was more wrong with this but it eludes me now.
This apartment now has a new 2 gang meter base with new panels, we even threw in some circuits to the kitchen, bath, and furnace just to help matters out.

Neil (Bomzin)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks like the wasp's were having a field day in there.. "Got KO-seals?"

I'm suprised your serving utility in your area wasn't concerned with the "easily accessible" splices before the meters... I'm pretty sure the ones around here (So Calif) would have had an issue with that... (Along with attaching to an EMT riser).... Really lucky nobody was hurt while that entire exterior was energized!! [Linked Image]

-Randy

S
Was anything done right here? I just dont understand some peoples version of quality.
This job was dangerous before the tree.
Is that spliced AWG 4 conductors almost stuffed into the emt coming from back of the panel? [Linked Image]
At least he put a bushing. [Linked Image]

Sorry I was just having a read through some old posts here.
In the 3rd pic here, is that a green wire going into the bottom of that breaker?.
Hmm. [Linked Image]

P
Don't worry -- Looks like a blue on the neutral just to even things up a little! [Linked Image]

S
Looks like the tree did him a favor. Now he can redo the whole thing.

I think in hind-sight Randy was right.
Although I would call this a Hornet's nest that someone hit with a big stick!. [Linked Image]
Can someone tell me, would this sort of gear usually be locked and sealed shut?.
Just wondering, I realise this is after a fault, but it is PoCo gear isn't it?.....

{Message edited for more reasons than you would realise!. [Linked Image]}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 12-21-2004).]

D
Originally posted by Neil:

...It would have held had the mast not been EMT.

(shaking head)

Can someone tell me, would this sort of gear usually be locked and sealed shut?.

Here's about the only type of sealing youll find here, Mike. The little wire also runs through a slot in the sheet metal.

(This one's been shut off for nonpayment.)

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard