ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 267 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#11575 07/16/02 12:00 AM
T
I pondered a couple of things after seeing an ad on TV about the outlet powered air fresheners.
How do these things work?
What should I, a homemaker person, be aware of when using such a product?
What are some of your thoughts on the added outlet on these products? (Especially in the bathroom) where the curling iron and blow dryer are used regularly.
Inquiring mind wants to know.
Tiffany

#11576 07/16/02 12:09 AM
E
I can't believe they get away with making these things. I can just imagine how many homeowners are going to cut off the ground prong of the cord cause the air fresheners additional outlet doesn't have a place for it.

[This message has been edited by elektrikguy (edited 07-16-2002).]

#11577 07/16/02 12:18 AM
M
These things make me cringe! Even though its a small one, I don't like the idea of a heating element in cheap packaging being left powered. Not in my house! Matt

#11578 07/16/02 12:47 AM
Broom Pusher and
Tiffany,

I saw the same Commercial [I think] and had to complain for a good 10 minutes, driving my Wife and a few Friends out of the room! [joke!].

The one I saw showed a split screen with two people having the same scenario[s]. The one on the left was using "The Other Guy's Air Freshener" which did not contain "The Convenient Extra Outlet" of the "Better Brand" on the right [please pardon my kooky descriptions here!].

Things were funny at first because [for me] simply removing the darn air freshener from the receptacle so something else could be plugged in was the only thing that came to mind.
After seeing the Kitchen Appliances plugged into it, that laughter became complaints.
Then when the blow dryer was plugged in, I was on a classic tirade!!!
[spell check here - Tirade - sounds like Tie - Raid... to rant and rave excessivly].

I believe these things work by heating either heating the air with some fixed resistor, which causes the air to rise through the assemblige, and while the air rises it picks up some of the scent particles from the air freshener [and possibly discharge some bad odors into it, odors trapped in water, dust, etc.], or the scent stuff is directly heated, which ends up dissipating into the cooler surrounding air.

Have noticed some of these will have a piece of plastic which covers the lower part of a duplex receptacle - preventing its use while the air freshener is plugged in.

We have one which runs in an outlet by its self. I watch that sucker like a Hawk!!!

Scott S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#11579 07/16/02 06:09 AM
S
One slumlord provided many in an effort to mask the amount of animal urine, via the prior 3-toes sloths.......
The 'new' tenants then piled laundry , magazines etc against these... [Linked Image]
No doubt UL's pristine conditions would not take such abuse into acount.....

...slummmin' Steve....
~sparky~

#11580 07/16/02 06:14 AM
E
So what exactly are you guys worried about? I am reading your complaints but I am not seeing any evidence to back your complaints. I have several of these plugged in in my house. All are UL listed, and none have been a problem.

#11581 07/16/02 08:07 AM
I guess the question would be:

Are these things rated for 1875W feed through?

Scott35,
A similar occurance happened at our house...
Which prompted, uh, "Tiff" to post the Q...

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#11582 07/16/02 03:24 PM
P
These things are available over here as well, although I haven't (as yet) seen any with a feed-thru outlet.

#11583 08/20/02 12:33 PM
S
My mom has a few of these, both normal, double and "extra socket."

She doesn't use them often, but from what I've seen they don't get hot -- just warm to the touch. Have you ever seen one after a few years of constant use though? The plastic gets stained and discolored from the deodorant capsule (which is some sort of waxy oil or something) and the heat.

I'm not all that thrilled about them....and al I'm waiting for is someone to plug a 5,000 watt space heater or an air conditioner through a cheater plug into one of these things....

#11584 08/20/02 09:14 PM
H
just my 2 cents, but I don't like the looks of them either. You won't see any in my house.

Caper

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard