ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 276 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]
This is typical of what I am dealing with on this job. The boxes in the picture are not in a 1 hour rated wall but there are other just like them that are. Of course the fix is to fill them with mud. So when we go to trim out the job the mud will fall out in large chunks. This is typical of the quality we are dealing with on this job and there are over 1500 device boxes. Maybe they will get it down before the end. (And maybe I'll hit the lottery)

BTW: Take a good look at the rings. These are boxes made by a small company named Fab Works. The rings adjust out up to 2 inches by running the two adjacent screws in with a drill motor. This is the first time I have used them and I am sold. If someone puts plywood on the wall or the back of a cabinet that wasn't shown...No problem. Just adjust the ring out to fit!

Nick

T
Tir Offline
Those rings look like a great solution to an age old problem..whats the cost break-out on them?
As far as sheetrocker problems...well you know the old saying about flies and honey. After years in the tenant finish sector I always work on a friendly basis with the rockers. My crews have messed up perfectly good walls with everythin from hammers to "marks-alot" pens and I try to avoid the back-charge wars, we both loose! Most painters will gladly give you a roll of blue-tape to cvr you boxes to avoid the mud issue...a good Foreman can do this as he visualy checks the installs to the prints it takes very little additional time.

A
Man, hard to belive that we're so far apart and have the same sheet rock company! I just trimmed out a 14,000 sqft building last week and had about 30 boxes covered up. The crews here are all mexican and speak no english. But thats ok since all the spanish words i know are cuss words so i guess they got the point.

T
Looks like somebody should be banned from touching a sheetrock saw. Maybe they had a liquid lunch.

Some products include a simple piece of cardboard to use as a cover until the rock is done.

Those adjustables pictured are nice!

Nick,
Long time no read. Good to read ya.
Do these rings interfere with the conductors in the box? It looks like if it was retracted, it would stick about 1-3/8" into the box.
Otherwise, this is the neatest "gizmo" to come along for awhile!
(Maybe your drywaller has only worked resi-where he can also cut the plastic box to smithereens like he does the board?)

N
Scott,
The rings in the picture are fully retracted. This leaves them 3/4" raised for a perfect fit on 5/8" board. The boxes are 5" square and 2-1/2" deep. Plenty of room. The companies name is Fab Works. They are right next to you in Santa Ana. If you would like I can send you a phone number (next week when I get back to work) so you can check them out. It is a small company with a good product and I would like to see them make it.
Tir,
I don't remember cost off hand. I'll check it out.

Link Copied to Clipboard