ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I don't believe the wire is strong enough to trip both breakers, if suppose one of them were to trip?

-richard

R
Handle ties are not intented to provide a common trip. They are only intended to provide a common disconnect. The code code permits "approved" handle ties in 240.20(B), but I doubt that the AHJ has approved the wire as a handle tie. Even the handle ties from the breaker manufacturer do not turn 2 breakers into a "common trip" breaker.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Here's another Photo sent in with a question along the same lines:

[Linked Image]
Is it illegal to take two single-pole breakers and link them together with a piece of copper wire and use them as a two-pole breaker for a 220V application? Is it safety hazard? Look at breakers 7 and 9 in the power panel.

R
In this second case 240.20(B) requires the use of a common trip breaker. The use of approved handle ties is not permitted for this application. If these breakers were serving a multiwire branch circuit and not a 220 volt load the use of approved handle ties would be permitted by 240.20(B)(1).
As far as a safety hazard, I don't think so. The same condition would exist if the OCPDs were fuses in place of the single pole breakers and fuses are premitted to protect this circuit.
Don
corrected my code section reference from 240.21 to 240.20

[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 10-27-2003).]

Don(resqcapt19)
T
resqcapt19:

Thanks for the explanation.

S
So for a 220V load, a two-pole breaker must be used--period! Correct?

R
Sparky,
Sorry, I misspoke in the earlier post. On a grounded single phase circuit the code does permit the use of single pole breakers with handle ties for 220 volt loads.
240.20(B)(B) Circuit Breaker as Overcurrent Device. Circuit breakers shall open all ungrounded conductors of the circuit unless otherwise permitted in 240.20(B)(1), (B)(2), and (B)(3).
(1) Multiwire Branch Circuit. Except where limited by 210.4(B), individual single-pole circuit breakers, with or without approved handle ties, shall be permitted as the protection for each ungrounded conductor of multiwire branch circuits that serve only single-phase line-to-neutral loads.
(2) Grounded Single-Phase and 3-wire dc Circuits. In grounded systems, individual single-pole circuit breakers with approved handle ties shall be permitted as the protection for each ungrounded conductor for line-to-line connected loads for single-phase circuits or 3-wire, direct-current circuits.

Don(resqcapt19)
S
resqcapt19:

Thanks a lot for the info. I guess the only discrepency is that, the piece of copper wire is not an "approved" handle tie.

R
Sparky,
You would have to ask the AHJ about that. He can "approve" the wire if he want to.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)

Link Copied to Clipboard