ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
L
lbartel Offline OP
I'm building my own detached garage and am very nearly dried in (felt is on the roof, shingles coming soon). How do inspectors feel about me wiring in and using circuits prior to the rough-in inspection? Sure, it would be easy enough to unhook outlets just prior to the inspection, but should I bother? I am not a certified electrician, nor am I working under one. I am very confident that I can put in safe wiring, even if it may miss a few fine points in the code.

- les

Sounds to me like you are going to use the permenant wiring as temporary wiring while you are working on the rest of your garage. I've done it on commercial jobs many times. Heck....I've "temporaried in" a panel before by "back feeding" a breaker with an extension cord. I wouldn't suggest doing it unless you know what you are doing, but I wouldn't have a problem with what you are suggesting above. The only problem is...I'm not an inspector.

All present, and accounted for, standing by for inspection, Sir,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
B
there is no real problem using a small part of the wiring to finish the garage, the only problem it must be ground fault protected.

blackhat makes a good point. Temp power needs to be GFI protected.

That blackhat doesn't mean you're a bad guy does it? Or is there a new law man in town?

10 paces and draw,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
G
Garage outlets will have to be GFI anyways so it is no more work for temp. power.

GJ

Amen to that junkie. By the way, if you go for a few days without playing golf, do you start shaking, and foaming at the mouth.

Trying to write a prescription,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX

Link Copied to Clipboard