ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#114988 07/24/03 02:25 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Submitted by Joe Tedesco:

[Linked Image]

N
3 pieces of greenfield unsupported, and blocking access to disco.

Mismatched phase colors between line and load sides of disco.

Conductor run on handle side of disco--could be damaged by operating mechanism.

I don't see a handle on the EXO at all!
Are those some listed type of 90° fitting on the ends of the flex? (Honestly, a Q, I've never seen them like that).
Now, the big question for me is...Does an EXO require the working clearances of 110.26, (or 110-16, if you live in a third world country like California)?? I think so, but I've had a lot of folks deny the point.

B
There may be a handle, but almost hidden on the switch right side. The cable on the right inside may be a grounded-circuit conductor. {Agreed it is tacky and ‘nonworkmanlike’ to route it there.}

[Linked Image from 64.146.180.232] [Here's The Blurry, Overenlarged, Exclusive Front Page National Nquirer-Cam UFO-From-The-Inside Shot.]

There are clearly 250V fuses in the switch, FWIW. It looks the front couple of flexes may have been used as a “ladder” or “platform” for operating the switch.

The 90° flexible-metal-conduit connectors have been around for a long time, but they are almost impossible to install while meeting the NEC300-18(a) ‘Complete Runs’ mandate.

My question is—as a retrofit, would it be acceptable to build a “box” of framing channel and mount the disconnect spaced away from the wall {maybe 30 inches deep} such that there was now NEC110-16 working clearances about the open door? [One of the flexes and associated conductors might more esily be rerouted to the switch enclosure not using the gutter.]

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 07-25-2003).]

Bjarney,

I made a closeup from the original for some more clarity:
(My Picture replaced with this (better) one: 7/25/03)

[Linked Image]

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 07-25-2003).]

Bill
T
Mismatched phase colors between line and load sides of disco.

Heck, that's an easy fix. Just put some red tape over the blue tape, etc. [Linked Image]

P
What about ID for the neutral too? Or is a white marking not required if the cable just runs through the disco like this without being landed on a terminal?

P
The grounded conductor may have been terminated and identified in the left side of the cabinet where we cannot see it. I am curious how this could have passed inspection? This work passing inspection will indirectly tell the installer that the installation is fine and perpetuate this kind of work. Maybe this equipment was added later and no inspection was involved.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
I
Some articles that could be used to red tag this would be.

348.30(A) Supports for FMC

110.26(A)(3) Height of working space.

I do not see how the work space rules would not apply to a fusible disconnect.

110.26(A) Working Space. Working space for equipment operating at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall comply with the dimensions of 110.26(A)(1), (2), and (3) or as required or permitted elsewhere in this Code.

Certainly a fusible disconnect may need servicing while energized.

One more thing I see, is that the transformer grounding electrode conductor run up the wall to the right of the disconnect?

If it is I do not see any supports as required by 250.64(B)

I am not trying to defend a lousy installation but some of the things mentioned are not NEC violations.

I think it is easy to forget that just because an installation is not up to our own standards does not necessarily mean it is a code violation.

The Grounded conductor if not terminated does not require identification.

200.6(B) "at the time of installation by a distinctive white marking at its terminations"

Mismatched phase tape colors, what code article could be cited to show this is a violation?

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Update:

Joe sent in a better picture today to replace the closeup I made a few posts above,

Thanks Joe!
Bill

Bill
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard