ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#114377 02/22/03 11:45 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]
Here's another scary control panel. This was controlling a critical cooling water system for forging and heat treating furnaces. I replaced this system about a year ago with a PLC. As you can see it was a bear to try to work on.

Rich

C
[Linked Image] what a mess! now that's scary. can't tell where anything goes. this is supposed to be a neat & workman like manner. don't think so!

M
Although red wire is a nice color, they do make more colors...
When I finish a controller it looks like a rainbow inside so you can tell what goes where even if the label should fall off. It also makes tracing wires quick when they enter a bundle. I have probably 40 different color combinations of
MTW wire in stock...
Oooh... look at the pretty colors...

Mike Wescoatt
S
no din rail, wire channel, or so much as a tie wrap?

T
IMHO it looks like it started off nice and neat, and somewhere along the line someone needed to add,troubleshoot and undid it.

TW

RED is often used for ungrounded ac control conductors at less than line voltage.

This is a common practice when wiring Industrial Machinery.

See NFPA 79 for more on Identification of Colors in Chapter 14.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
M
I agree with trainwire. Often times, a nice neat panel, turns into a rat’s nest when machinery/equipment malfunctions. Sometimes, in industrial setting, it has to be fixed as fast as possible and more often than not there are no prints available. So to troubleshoot the maintenance person starts cutting ty-raps and pulling on wires to see what powers what and where the wires go. When the equipment is back up and running everyone is happy and time is not taken to redress panel as it originally was. The result is a mess as pictured above.

C
Unfortunatly this enclosure started out that bad, it looks a little better since it had been disconnected already and one ball of wiring passing through the box was removed also. Even though only about half the wires were tagged at least the relays were labeled, but the print was yet another disaster. Good thing for the plant that "electrician" doesn't work here anymore.

Rich

[This message has been edited by Crowbar (edited 02-24-2003).]

S
I work around stuff like this all the time. 25 Year old plant and many hands in the panels, some of dubious experience and caring.

I'm sure it didn't start out looking like this mess. Looks like a troubleshooter ended up being a troublemaker.
Red? I modified an amusement park ride at Knott's Berry Farm (So CA) in the late '70s.
We used 31 miles of #16 TFFN for AC control wiring...every inch was red.

Link Copied to Clipboard